May 27, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
Three games into the Stanley Cup playoffs, the L.A. Kings were already on the verge of elimination. They’re now on the verge of making it back to the final series for the second time in three years.
That Kings team that won the 2012 Stanley Cup ran through every team like a hot knife through butter, if you’ll excuse the cliche. This year’s edition has taken the last three games against the Chicago Blackhawks in the Western Conference Final after a solid 5-2 victory in Game 4 on Monday.
The Kings went seven games against San Jose. They went seven games against Anaheim. But they can polish off the Blackhawks with a win in Chicago on Wednesday, although Chicago’s captain Jonathan Toews believes his team is “still alive in this series.”
The Kings’ surge in these playoffs, including most recently, has suddenly brought up comparisons of this team to the one two years ago.
Helps when Jonathan Quick finds his form. But the Kings feature four players – Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Marian Gaborik and Justin Williams – at the top of NHL playoff scoring. L.A., in these playoffs, is averaging 3.39 goals per game. They’ve allowed a fourth-best goals-against, at 2.61 goals per game.
“It’s tough because you try not to look back, really. You just focus on the next game. But obviously the one similarity is we’ve been able to win as many games as we have,” said Quick, as per LA Kings Insider.
“We put ourselves in a position where we have an opportunity to win a game to go to the finals. Our team two years ago was able to that. We were able to do that right now. That doesn’t mean anything as far as anythings going to be handed to us. We’ve got a lot to do to be able to earn that win.”
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, Thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)