May 27, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
For the second time in as many years, Chicago is down 3-1 in a playoff series. In 2013 it was against the Detroit Red Wings in the second round and the Blackhawks still ended up winning the Stanley Cup. This time it’s the Los Angeles Kings standing in their way, but they’re hoping the result will be the same.
“Why can’t we do it again?” Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane asked, per LA Kings Insider. “It’s tough in the position we’re in now. But at the same time, we still feel good about our team in here and we all know that we’ve done it before.
“We have to have that confidence of trying to win the next game and see what happens.”
Kane gave the Kings credit for pushing them this far, but he still has faith in his teammates and he’s not alone.
“We’re a good team,” defenseman Duncan Keith said. “It’s just we have to find a way when we get that lead to keep that lead and just go from there. … It’s not easy, but it wouldn’t be worth winning the Stanley Cup without going through adversity.
“I don’t think any team that gets this far or ends up winning it, goes through a playoff without having to deal with adversity. This is our chance to do it.”
Los Angeles has already proved itself in that regard, overcoming 3-0 and 3-2 series deficits against the San Jose Sharks and Anaheim Ducks respectively. Chicago has been challenged in the 2014 postseason too, but this is the first time that the Blackhawks have been pushed to the brink of elimination.
One key for Chicago will be to get more out of Kane, Marian Hossa, and Patrick Sharp, who have combined for just one goal in this series. As deep as the Blackhawks are, it’s hard to see them rebounding without that trio breaking out.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21