May 27, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
On Tuesday, injured Montreal goalie Carey Price took to the ice for the second straight day — only this time, it was in full gear and he faced shots for the first time since going down with a suspected knee ailment in Game 1.
Hours before the Canadiens were to face the New York Rangers in Game 5 of their series, down 3-1, Price was working under the watchful eye of goaltending coach Stephane Waite and an unidentified member of the team’s staff.
He left the ice shortly after 10 a.m., having spent most of his time working on side-to-side movement in the crease. He fielded a few light shots from the slot, but seemed to be testing an injury somewhere in his lower body.
Yesterday, after Price skated for the first time since the injury, Habs head coach Michel Therrien shot down the idea of Price returning for Game 5, saying “he’s not going to play, like I said before,” and that getting back on the ice was “just a part of the rehab, that’s all.”
Following Price’s skate, though, Therrien added a little spice to the building drama…
— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) May 27, 2014
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)