May 27, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
On Tuesday, injured Montreal goalie Carey Price took to the ice for the second straight day — only this time, it was in full gear and he faced shots for the first time since going down with a suspected knee ailment in Game 1.
Hours before the Canadiens were to face the New York Rangers in Game 5 of their series, down 3-1, Price was working under the watchful eye of goaltending coach Stephane Waite and an unidentified member of the team’s staff.
He left the ice shortly after 10 a.m., having spent most of his time working on side-to-side movement in the crease. He fielded a few light shots from the slot, but seemed to be testing an injury somewhere in his lower body.
Yesterday, after Price skated for the first time since the injury, Habs head coach Michel Therrien shot down the idea of Price returning for Game 5, saying “he’s not going to play, like I said before,” and that getting back on the ice was “just a part of the rehab, that’s all.”
Following Price’s skate, though, Therrien added a little spice to the building drama…
— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) May 27, 2014
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 11
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)