May 27, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
After Game 4, Henrik Lundqvist eyed the possibility of finally making the Stanley Cup Final, which would erase one of the last remaining things that made him seem less than superhuman. The Montreal Canadiens did a great job of making him look fallible in Game 5, however.
New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault decided to give Lundqvist the hook close to halfway through the game after he allowed four goals on 18 shots.
A good chunk of those goals are ones you wouldn’t expect the all-world goalie to allow. Feel free to judge the quartet for yourself:
Update: The Rangers were down 4-1 when Lundqvist was pulled … and then things got pretty wild. New York managed to tie the game up in little time, yet Montreal enters the third period with a 5-4 lead.
(You know things get weird when Lundqvist gets buried by pundits and then people scream for his return during the same period.)
Here are those goals for your jaw-dropping entertainment:
Nash makes it 4-2 right after Lundqvist gets pulled:
Derek Stepan scored another goal to make it 4-3:
A rare embellishment call on Tomas Plekanec that didn’t draw a corresponding penalty for the Rangers opened the door for this power-play tally, which briefly tied the game at 4-4:
Rene Bourque regained the Habs’ lead with this 5-4 tally:
Will there be even more goals in the third period? We’ll see.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 9
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)