May 27, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are up against it. Adversity is a word that gets thrown around a lot during the Stanley Cup playoffs, and each team competing for hockey’s Holy Grail goes through its share of it.
The Blackhawks, well, they will now need three straight victories to defeat the L.A. Kings and advance to this year’s final series.
Chicago was rattled early, with L.A. getting off to a three-goal lead in the first period. The Blackhawks, defending champs, never recovered, losing by a final score of 5-2. The Western Conference Final series, with the Kings leading 3-1, shifts back to Chicago on Wednesday.
The Blackhawks aren’t about to say this series is over. But the Kings, after going to seven games in each of their first two playoff series this spring, seem to be gaining strength. Not only do they have four players atop NHL scoring in these playoffs, with Marian Gaborik‘s 10 goals leading the way, but they’ve gotten strong contributions from their depth players, like Jake Muzzin and Tyler Toffoli.
Meanwhile, Patrick Kane has only one assist in four games against the Kings. That helper came in Monday’s loss. Patrick Sharp has only one goal and one point in this series, and played only one shift in the final five minutes of Game 4.
“We’ve got no one to blame but ourselves. We’re the only ones that are going to get ourselves out of it,” added Kane.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)