May 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
BriseBois, currently an assistant GM in Tampa Bay, already has the endorsement of his Lightning boss, Steve Yzerman.
“He’s got tremendous experience at all facets and responsibilities of a general manager,” Yzerman said, per the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s going to have a long and outstanding career as a GM.”
Per the Lightning’s website, BriseBois assists Yzerman “in all aspects of player personnel decisions, contract preparation and negotiation, and salary arbitration for the Lightning and the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League, for whom he also serves as general manager.”
But BriseBois isn’t your typical NHL executive. He never played hockey at a high level, so you won’t find his name at hockeydb.com. Armed with a law degree and MBA, his first NHL job was in the legal department of the Montreal Canadiens.
Whether that unique career trajectory hurts his chances of one day becoming an NHL GM, we’ll have to wait and see. Most of the current GMs have at least some high-level playing experience, and scouting and player development seem to be areas that teams are focusing heavily on now.
Then again, there will be areas of the job where BriseBois will have the superior qualifications.
And besides, at 37, he’s got plenty of time to add to his résumé.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)