May 26, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
It appears either Ben Smith or Andrew Shaw could move into the No. 2 center role held down by Michal Handzus for the past few games. Each player got a few shifts on the second line in the third period Saturday as Chicago looked for goals. Quenneville believes those two players are more effective offensively than Handzus.
There is, however, an issue when it comes to re-jiggering the forward lines with the Blackhawks. Simply, it is a hesitancy to mess with the top-line unit featuring Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa. It has been the Blackhawks’ most effective line at each end of the ice in this series. To tinker with it, which would almost become a necessity if you try to get struggling forwards like Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp going, threatens to damage chemistry.
Ah, yes, the old 2C issue rearing its ugly head again for the Blackhawks. That’s second-line center, to be clear. Handzus went into the playoffs in that role, but the 37-year-old has managed just one goal and one assist in 15 games, with dreadful possession stats to boot.
The ‘Hawks managed to win it all last year with Handzus gamely stepping in to fill the important position, but that didn’t stop a summer of speculation about who could take over for the veteran. Brandon Saad was an option at one point. Same for Shaw, Marcus Kruger, Brandon Pirri and Drew LeBlanc.
General manager Stan Bowman didn’t make a deal at the deadline to address the position, instead stating his belief “in our group here.”
Not that a GM can just snap his fingers and add a top-six center, but expect another summer of 2C talk in Chicago, especially if the ‘Hawks can’t battle back to beat L.A.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)