May 26, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
With homegrown youngsters Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson piling up the points in these playoffs (they have 10 each in 17 games), it’s no wonder the Los Angeles Kings are getting grilled by reporters about their successful drafting and developing methods.
Yesterday, coach Darryl Sutter was asked if there was a “common trait” that he’d noticed in the players’ progressions from prospects to key contributors.
“What they have to do is learn how to train,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “They have to train to be an NHLer first and foremost, because they’re drafted when they’re 18 and they’re boys. … First off, they have to do that, and then I think an adjustment when they turn pro is learning the pro lifestyle, and they should learn it at the American League level first, and then the next part of that is the adjustment from the American League level to the National Hockey League level in terms of how you practice.”
Which is why a team like Pittsburgh is focusing on scouting and player development in its search for a new general manager. It’s hard to win a Stanley Cup without doing those things successfully.
Like the Kings, the Chicago Blackhawks have drafted and developed well, and it’s paid off with two championships since 2010. And just look at the success the New York Rangers — one win away from the Cup Final — are enjoying with the help of their AHL graduates, including Ryan McDonagh, Dan Girardi, Chris Kreider, and Mats Zuccarello.
“Most of the kids are going to get stronger and get bigger, and then the lifestyle, that’s a big one,” said Sutter. “And then it’s not just to play here; be able to help your team.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)