May 26, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
The NHL lists 51 goalies that played regular minutes during the 2013-14 season. On that rather lengthy list, Devan Dubnyk finished in a tie for last, with a save percentage of .891.
Suffice to say, it was not a good year for the tall 28-year-old, who started the season in Edmonton, where he struggled badly before being traded to Nashville in January, which was before he was dealt to Montreal in March.
A pending unrestricted free agent, Dubnyk is hoping his stretch of three good seasons with the Oilers — from 2010-11 to 2012-13, when he posted save percentages of .916. .914, and .920 — will convince at least one NHL team to give him a shot.
“I still feel I can be a good starting goaltender,” Dubnky told the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. “I know it will be more difficult.
“To be out of the league [NHL] was tough to swallow … Even if I had to backup and play 20 games, I’d obviously do that than end up like this year, but I’m trying not to think about it — it makes me too anxious.
“I’ll see what comes on [July 1].”
Should a team roll the dice?
Tough call. Dubnyk fully admitted he “wasn’t good” in 2013-14.
But for the record, this is what the bottom 10 goalies in terms of save percentage looked like in 2011-12:
The following season, one of them was the starter for the Stanley Cup champs, and another was the Vezina Trophy winner.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)