May 26, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
The NHL lists 51 goalies that played regular minutes during the 2013-14 season. On that rather lengthy list, Devan Dubnyk finished in a tie for last, with a save percentage of .891.
Suffice to say, it was not a good year for the tall 28-year-old, who started the season in Edmonton, where he struggled badly before being traded to Nashville in January, which was before he was dealt to Montreal in March.
A pending unrestricted free agent, Dubnyk is hoping his stretch of three good seasons with the Oilers — from 2010-11 to 2012-13, when he posted save percentages of .916. .914, and .920 — will convince at least one NHL team to give him a shot.
“I still feel I can be a good starting goaltender,” Dubnky told the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. “I know it will be more difficult.
“To be out of the league [NHL] was tough to swallow … Even if I had to backup and play 20 games, I’d obviously do that than end up like this year, but I’m trying not to think about it — it makes me too anxious.
“I’ll see what comes on [July 1].”
Should a team roll the dice?
Tough call. Dubnyk fully admitted he “wasn’t good” in 2013-14.
But for the record, this is what the bottom 10 goalies in terms of save percentage looked like in 2011-12:
The following season, one of them was the starter for the Stanley Cup champs, and another was the Vezina Trophy winner.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)