May 26, 2014, 1:57 AM EDT
Despite generating two scoring titles and a Hart Trophy in his time with the Tampa Bay Lightning, St. Louis rarely drew the most attention with his former team.
Brad Richards won the Conn Smythe Trophy. St. Louis went from being overshadowed by one No. 1 draft pick (Vincent Lecavalier) to another (Steven Stamkos). The undrafted free agent’s lengthy stay in Tampa Bay finally ended with that final Olympic slight, and while that breakup was messy, it seems like he’s finally “the man” with the New York Rangers.
“Everybody wants to be the guy,” St. Louis said, according to Puck Daddy. “These are the times … you play as a kid in the street, you picture this. Everybody wants to be the guy.”
He certainly seemed to play that role in Game 4 against the Montreal Canadiens, most demonstratively with that decisive goal:
It’s not exactly rare for the 38-year-old winger to come through in a clutch moment, either. Fittingly, that goal leaves him with 80 points in 80 career playoff games, including four overtime winners. Richards has been there for quite a few of them.
Alain Vigneault indicates that St. Louis buries these types of chances more often than not.
“The goal he scored tonight is exactly what you see him practice every time he’s on the ice, like a hundred pucks,” Vigneault said.
It’s odd to use the word “underrated” regarding a guy with a track record like St. Louis, yet it’s not out of the realm of plausibility, either. Perhaps he’ll finally get the respect he craves at 38, even if it’s coming on the heels of the great personal tragedy of his mother’s passing and a tumultuous season overall.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)