May 26, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, on the Penguins’ search for a new general manager to replace Ray Shero:
Penguins ownership is said to prefer the new general manager to have a successful background in scouting and development, believing the franchise needs to improve most in those areas.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s situation — i.e., not getting that all-important “support from the bottom” — closely mirrors that of Vancouver’s. The Canucks hired Jim Benning as their new GM, based largely on the success he’s had as a “talent evaluator.” Back in January, the Sabres went a similar route with Tim Murray.
Among the potential candidates for the Penguins job, if drafting and developing is indeed where ownership wants to focus, current Nashville AGM Paul Fenton might be a fit.
He has assisted in player acquisitions since joining the Predators and managed the club’s Entry Draft efforts from 2003 (when the team selected Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein and Alexander Sulzer) until 2008 when he passed the torch to Chief Amateur Scout Jeff Kealty.
In 2012-13, the Predators used 17 players drafted and developed by the team – which included 10 of the team’s top 12 point getters – and five more who were acquired by Nashville before making their NHL debut, meaning 22 of 34 players used by the Predators in each of the last two seasons have been “homegrown.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)