May 26, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, on the Penguins’ search for a new general manager to replace Ray Shero:
Penguins ownership is said to prefer the new general manager to have a successful background in scouting and development, believing the franchise needs to improve most in those areas.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s situation — i.e., not getting that all-important “support from the bottom” — closely mirrors that of Vancouver’s. The Canucks hired Jim Benning as their new GM, based largely on the success he’s had as a “talent evaluator.” Back in January, the Sabres went a similar route with Tim Murray.
Among the potential candidates for the Penguins job, if drafting and developing is indeed where ownership wants to focus, current Nashville AGM Paul Fenton might be a fit.
He has assisted in player acquisitions since joining the Predators and managed the club’s Entry Draft efforts from 2003 (when the team selected Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein and Alexander Sulzer) until 2008 when he passed the torch to Chief Amateur Scout Jeff Kealty.
In 2012-13, the Predators used 17 players drafted and developed by the team – which included 10 of the team’s top 12 point getters – and five more who were acquired by Nashville before making their NHL debut, meaning 22 of 34 players used by the Predators in each of the last two seasons have been “homegrown.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)