May 26, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, on the Penguins’ search for a new general manager to replace Ray Shero:
Penguins ownership is said to prefer the new general manager to have a successful background in scouting and development, believing the franchise needs to improve most in those areas.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s situation — i.e., not getting that all-important “support from the bottom” — closely mirrors that of Vancouver’s. The Canucks hired Jim Benning as their new GM, based largely on the success he’s had as a “talent evaluator.” Back in January, the Sabres went a similar route with Tim Murray.
Among the potential candidates for the Penguins job, if drafting and developing is indeed where ownership wants to focus, current Nashville AGM Paul Fenton might be a fit.
He has assisted in player acquisitions since joining the Predators and managed the club’s Entry Draft efforts from 2003 (when the team selected Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein and Alexander Sulzer) until 2008 when he passed the torch to Chief Amateur Scout Jeff Kealty.
In 2012-13, the Predators used 17 players drafted and developed by the team – which included 10 of the team’s top 12 point getters – and five more who were acquired by Nashville before making their NHL debut, meaning 22 of 34 players used by the Predators in each of the last two seasons have been “homegrown.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)