May 26, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
If Barry Trotz does indeed become the new head coach of the Washington Capitals, there will still be three NHL coaching vacancies left — in Florida, Carolina and Vancouver — with another possibly opening in Pittsburgh, depending what the new, still-to-be-named Penguins general manager decides to do with Dan Bylsma.
And that brings us to Willie Desjardins, considered a strong candidate to make the jump from the AHL, where he’s been behind the bench of the Texas Stars, to the big leagues, where he was an associate coach with Dallas from 2010-12.
One of his former players, Vern Fiddler, is a fan.
“He’s a great motivator and he knows how to find the best in every player — that’s why he’s been so successful,” Fiddler told The Province. “One of the biggest things I noticed is that he really cares about everybody and he knows that everybody is different. I was in the league for six or seven years and he still found a way to get more out of you. Even as an assistant coach, he was a guy who would push you to different levels and I definitely found that guys respected him for that.”
New Canucks GM Jim Benning said Friday that previous head-coaching experience in the NHL was not a necessity for the job in Vancouver, but the coach needs to have won at different levels.
Desjardins can check that requirement off, having won two WHL titles as coach of the Medicine Hat Tigers, in 2004 and 2007.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)