May 25, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
For anyone who though Montreal Canadiens coach Michel Therrien was making veiled threats towards New York Rangers forward Derick Brassard, the Habs coach made it clear that wasn’t the case.
Therrien made it clear yesterday that he and his team knew just what Brassard, who returns in Game 4 tonight, had injured when he exited Game 1 of the series after a big hit from Mike Weaver. In speaking with reporters after morning skate today, Therrien clarified what he meant yesterday.
“He’s an important player,” Therrien said of Brassard. “That line got a lot of success, against the Penguins. He’s a good player. There is no free pass. We’re in the playoffs.
“But the intention is not to hurt the guy. I mean, come on. There is no hockey player that’s going to go on the ice, there is no hockey coach going to ask to hurt the player. But you have to play hard. We have to play Derick Brassard hard like we have to play all those New York Rangers hard with emotion and the best playoff hockey. No one’s got a free pass.”
Therrien added the Rangers are doing the same thing to their best players, including P.K. Subban who he says has been on the receiving end of “cheap shots” all series.
The gamesmanship between Therrien and Rangers coach Alain Vigneault in the past few days has been outstanding if you’re into the off-ice ways to work the game. It might be driving fans to foam at the mouth with some of the statements being made, but as Therrien told French media, it’s Shakespearean in a way — The play is the thing.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)