May 25, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Technically, the Chicago Blackhawks only have one fewer power-play goal in this series than the Los Angeles Kings’ three tallies, yet it seems clear that Los Angeles has carried a significant advantage in that area lately.
The Kings went two-for-four in turning things around against the Blackhawks in Game 2. The Kings were only credited with a 1-for-3 mark in Game 3 and even gave up a Jonathan Toews shorthanded goal, yet Drew Doughty‘s game-winner on Saturday might not have happened if Michal Rozsival didn’t take a bad penalty.
Here’s the Kings power-play goal that actually counted as a power-play goal:
Even with that Doughty goal being considered even-strength, the Kings have enjoyed arguably the best power play this postseason. They’ve scored a playoff-leading 14 goals while connecting on an impressive 24.6 percent of their 57 opportunities.
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter provided his typically folksy explanation for why things have been working well for his team’s power-play unit, as LA Kings Insider reports.
“I think we used lots of different guys and tried to use different looks and make sure that we’re not passing the puck into the net. We shoot it in there,” Sutter said. “It sounds silly, but screens, tips, rebounds are still the best way to score goals. Was our last goal a power play goal? [Reporter: No, even strength.] I mean, basically, coming out of the box. It’s the same thing. Guys are pounding the puck.”
On the other hand, the Blackhawks’ power play looked pretty flat at times. Joel Quenneville even believes his team lost some momentum after some of tonight’s weaker showings.
So, what should the Blackhawks do?
Well, OK then.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6