May 25, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
If you haven’t been paying attention through the playoffs, the Los Angeles Kings offense is turning heads.
Through 17 playoff games they’ve scored 56 goals (over three per game) and took a 2-1 series lead against the Chicago Blackhawks with a 4-3 win on Saturday night. So what has unlocked L.A.’s offensive explosion? According to coach Darryl Sutter, it’s Marian Gaborik.
“Well, we scored just over three a game the whole playoffs,” Sutter said. “Since the Olympic break, I think, you know, probably getting Gabby coming here makes a difference because it spreads it around. I don’t think it’s one thing in particular. I don’t think it’s a one-line deal.
“Kopitar’s line didn’t score a goal. Got to spread it around. Wasn’t a problem for us in the 48 games and last year’s playoffs. It got to be made an issue, which wasn’t something I was ever really worried about this year.”
Since arriving from Columbus in a trade deadline day deal, Gaborik had 16 points in 19 games in the regular season and has 15 points in 17 games in the playoffs, good for third on the team. His nine goals in the postseason are best in the league.
As for spreading it around, look at last night’s goal scorers. Jeff Carter and Tyler Toffoli are on the same line and Drew Doughty and Slava Voynov are on the blue line. We’ve seen Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams play major roles as well.
Spreading it around in the postseason is a good way to make sure the opponents can’t zero in any one player. That’s the mark of a truly dangerous team.
Apr 2, 2015, 1:20 AM EDT
Big win for San Jose.
Apr 2, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
Apr 2, 2015, 12:46 AM EDT
Easily handled the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.
Apr 2, 2015, 12:16 AM EDT
Looked like a sure goal.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
That’s bad defending.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)