May 25, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
If you haven’t been paying attention through the playoffs, the Los Angeles Kings offense is turning heads.
Through 17 playoff games they’ve scored 56 goals (over three per game) and took a 2-1 series lead against the Chicago Blackhawks with a 4-3 win on Saturday night. So what has unlocked L.A.’s offensive explosion? According to coach Darryl Sutter, it’s Marian Gaborik.
“Well, we scored just over three a game the whole playoffs,” Sutter said. “Since the Olympic break, I think, you know, probably getting Gabby coming here makes a difference because it spreads it around. I don’t think it’s one thing in particular. I don’t think it’s a one-line deal.
“Kopitar’s line didn’t score a goal. Got to spread it around. Wasn’t a problem for us in the 48 games and last year’s playoffs. It got to be made an issue, which wasn’t something I was ever really worried about this year.”
Since arriving from Columbus in a trade deadline day deal, Gaborik had 16 points in 19 games in the regular season and has 15 points in 17 games in the playoffs, good for third on the team. His nine goals in the postseason are best in the league.
As for spreading it around, look at last night’s goal scorers. Jeff Carter and Tyler Toffoli are on the same line and Drew Doughty and Slava Voynov are on the blue line. We’ve seen Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams play major roles as well.
Spreading it around in the postseason is a good way to make sure the opponents can’t zero in any one player. That’s the mark of a truly dangerous team.
May 29, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
One year, two-way deal.
May 29, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
Draft picks to hire other team’s fired employees has rapidly become the standard.
May 29, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Detroit wants to keep Tony Granato.
May 29, 2015, 8:25 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)