May 25, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
If you haven’t been paying attention through the playoffs, the Los Angeles Kings offense is turning heads.
Through 17 playoff games they’ve scored 56 goals (over three per game) and took a 2-1 series lead against the Chicago Blackhawks with a 4-3 win on Saturday night. So what has unlocked L.A.’s offensive explosion? According to coach Darryl Sutter, it’s Marian Gaborik.
“Well, we scored just over three a game the whole playoffs,” Sutter said. “Since the Olympic break, I think, you know, probably getting Gabby coming here makes a difference because it spreads it around. I don’t think it’s one thing in particular. I don’t think it’s a one-line deal.
“Kopitar’s line didn’t score a goal. Got to spread it around. Wasn’t a problem for us in the 48 games and last year’s playoffs. It got to be made an issue, which wasn’t something I was ever really worried about this year.”
Since arriving from Columbus in a trade deadline day deal, Gaborik had 16 points in 19 games in the regular season and has 15 points in 17 games in the playoffs, good for third on the team. His nine goals in the postseason are best in the league.
As for spreading it around, look at last night’s goal scorers. Jeff Carter and Tyler Toffoli are on the same line and Drew Doughty and Slava Voynov are on the blue line. We’ve seen Anze Kopitar and Justin Williams play major roles as well.
Spreading it around in the postseason is a good way to make sure the opponents can’t zero in any one player. That’s the mark of a truly dangerous team.
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 8
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15