May 25, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
Considering the bickering and finger-pointing that’s taken place during the past week, you’d think that the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers were hyping up a prize fight (if not the main event for “Wrestlemania”). Yet with all the jawing going on, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault acknowledged that it’s important to back up all of the talk.
“Tonight, without a doubt, for both teams it’s a huge game,” Vigneault said. “Both teams know the importance of it, and
I’m sure we’re going to have a great hockey game.”
It’s true that this isn’t an elimination game, but that doesn’t mean it can’t have a big impact on the series and the postseason as a whole. The Rangers could inch closer to getting more rest if they can close out the Habs quickly (certainly relevant after New York went through two seven-game series) while Montreal can regain home-ice advantage by tying this series 2-2.
As noted earlier, Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien indicated that all the big talk clouds the obvious truth: each team has a lot on the line.
Interestingly, Therrien noted that he believes that he’ll probably laugh this stuff off with Vigneault … in the offseason.
“Right now we’re battling for the same thing. The same thing he wants to get to the Stanley Cup Final with his team, it’s the same thing for me,” Therrien said. “We’ve got to put our friendship aside for, what, two weeks? But I’m sure when everything’s going to be done and everything’s going to be over, and as soon as we get a chance to see each other, we’re going to have a nice cold beer, like we did in the past, and nothing’s going to change.”
Then again, a lot can change in a week or two (especially when a trip to the 2014 Stanley Cup Final is on the line.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)