May 25, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
It’s been said that “talk is cheap” but the one thing it does do is help make things a bit more interesting.
The Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers haven’t been able to help but speak their minds about each other following the Habs’ 3-2 overtime win in Game 3. From the Rangers seeking to make sure more calls aren’t missed, like Brandon Prust‘s late hit on Derek Stepan, to the Canadiens taking umbrage with said gamesmanship the two days off between Games 3 and 4 have served to amp things up.
All the talk ends tonight and the Canadiens have the chance to even-up the series before heading home. The Rangers would like nothing more than to put them on the brink of elimination.
Game 4: New York Rangers vs. Montreal Canadiens [New York leads series 2-1] (8:00 p.m. ET — NBCSN)
With all the talk aside, losing Game 3 had to be frustrating for the Rangers. They controlled the better part of the game and peppered the Montreal net with shots. The key for the Canadiens will be whether or not Dustin Tokarski can rise to the occasion again. His 35 saves in Game 3 helped buoy the Habs and gave them a bit more resolve to push back.
Derick Brassard‘s return to the lineup should give the Rangers a lift. He’s been out since early in Game 1 against Montreal after taking a big hit from Mike Weaver. Brassard will return to his usual spot on a line with Benoit Pouliot and Mats Zuccarello and even though Michel Therrien said they know what exactly his injury is, that weird statement of fact shouldn’t slow him down.
Brassard’s return and Stepan likely being out isn’t a great trade-off, but one the Rangers will gladly take at this point in the playoffs.
One thing to watch for Montreal: P.K. Subban. He hasn’t had a great series so far but that doesn’t mean an eruption won’t happen. He’s too good of a player to keep down for long and after being such a big factor against the Boston Bruins, you get the feeling there’s a big game from him coming.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)