May 25, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
While the Los Angeles Kings have enjoyed such strong work from their second line that it’s inspiring sitcom-related nicknames, the Chicago Blackhawks are hoping for more from the likes of Patrick Kane. In other words, they’re hoping that history repeat itself.
Sure, it’s unsettling that the 25-year-old star hasn’t generated a single point in three games against Los Angeles, but he only produced one assist through Games 1-3 of the 2013 Western Conference finals against this same opponent.
Starting in Game 4 in 2013, Kane began a rampage that helped him secure the Conn Smythe Trophy. He scored a goal in Game 4 against the Kings before generating a hat trick – including the series clincher in double overtime – to advance Chicago to the Stanley Cup Final.
The Blackhawks winger almost seems to become more dangerous as postseasons progress; He capped a great 2010 playoff run by scoring eight points (three goals, five assists) in the last four games against the Philadelphia Flyers to win Chicago’s first Stanley Cup of the Kane – Jonathan Toews era. (That included Kane’s odd and memorable Cup-clinching goal against Michael Leighton, of course).
Let there be no doubt about it; Kane seems concerned.
Still, there have been some chances … they just haven’t been resulting in goals.
The solution? Kane believes that he needs to assert himself:
The Kings know from experience that Kane can take over a game or even multiple playoff games when he gets going. The Blackhawks seem confident that he can pull it off again.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT
Pleads no contest to misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Boughner coached against DeBoer in the OHL, Hedberg played for him in New Jersey.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:02 PM EDT
The Mike Gillis era is just a memory now.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Yes, the same Jim Rutherford who was the GM in Carolina for two decades.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
He didn’t want to make his intentions known until he was drafted.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)