May 25, 2014, 3:46 PM EST
The Czech Republic’s loss in the bronze medal game to Sweden in the 2014 World Championships will be the last time Jaromir Jagr hits the ice for his country.
Jagr, 42, said following the game it would be the last time he’ll play for the Czech Republic. After playing in the Olympics five times and at Worlds eight times, he said it was time to take a break as Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shared.
“When I count the last two years, I think I’ve played the most games of any hockey player in the world,” Jagr said. “I’m not 21 anymore. On the other side, I don’t mind playing. I don’t get tired.
“I took a chance. I knew it was going to be tough for me to come from the small ice to go on the big ice. I know it’s join to help me next year.”
If that’s Jagr’s way of calling it quits internationally, it’s not totally convincing. Perhaps missing out on a medal at both the Sochi Olympics and Worlds has him feeling a bit cranky.
After all, he’s said repeatedly he has no plans of hanging it up completely and he just signed a one-year deal to stay with the New Jersey Devils. Chances are a guy like Jagr has carte blanche to play for the national team if he so chooses. If this truly is it for him with the national team, his career there has been brilliant with a gold medal at the 1998 Olympics and a bronze in 2006.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)