May 25, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
The Czech Republic’s loss in the bronze medal game to Sweden in the 2014 World Championships will be the last time Jaromir Jagr hits the ice for his country.
Jagr, 42, said following the game it would be the last time he’ll play for the Czech Republic. After playing in the Olympics five times and at Worlds eight times, he said it was time to take a break as Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shared.
“When I count the last two years, I think I’ve played the most games of any hockey player in the world,” Jagr said. “I’m not 21 anymore. On the other side, I don’t mind playing. I don’t get tired.
“I took a chance. I knew it was going to be tough for me to come from the small ice to go on the big ice. I know it’s join to help me next year.”
If that’s Jagr’s way of calling it quits internationally, it’s not totally convincing. Perhaps missing out on a medal at both the Sochi Olympics and Worlds has him feeling a bit cranky.
After all, he’s said repeatedly he has no plans of hanging it up completely and he just signed a one-year deal to stay with the New Jersey Devils. Chances are a guy like Jagr has carte blanche to play for the national team if he so chooses. If this truly is it for him with the national team, his career there has been brilliant with a gold medal at the 1998 Olympics and a bronze in 2006.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)