May 25, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
The Jarome Iginla – Boston Bruins experiment was a smash success, at least during the 2013-14 regular season. Things didn’t go so smoothly for “The KIL Line” in the postseason, prompting CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty to hypothesize that Iginla will need to seek work elsewhere in 2014-15:
In case you have trouble with the video, here are some key points from Haggerty’s comments:
“Iginla appeared to really enjoy his time with the Bruins and the team has already expressed an interest in bringing him back, but it’s a very rigid set of terms that Boston can offer,” Haggerty said. “Realistically they can only offer a one year deal full of bonus money similar to this season.”
Haggerty believes that the David Krejci – Milan Lucic duo could really benefit from a speedy winger like Marian Gaborik, although it’s worth mentioning that the Los Angeles Kings may very well bring him back.
Still, there are two questions to consider:
1. Is Iginla willing to take another one-year deal or at least a short-term offer, if that’s all the Bruins can manage?
2. Would Boston be better off going in a different direction, such as adding a speedier option?
Do note that the 36-year-old scored 30 goals and 61 points in the regular season while playing on an incentive-laden deal that maxed out with a $6 million cap hit.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)