May 25, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Going into the 2014 Western Conference finals, it seemed like the Chicago Blackhawks would have to be most concerned with the Los Angeles Kings’ top line of Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown and Marian Gaborik. Instead, they’ve been baffled by the less familiar combination of Jeff Carter, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.
Considering their numbers (Pearson is No. 70, Toffoli is No. 73 and Carter is No. 77), The Royal Half coined the nickname “That 70’s Line.” Whatever you want to call them,* CSNChicago.com takes a look at how difficult they’ve been to stop lately.
“They both have a lot of speed, they’re skilled players. Pearson’s got speed as well,” Duncan Keith said. “They skate hard, they play hard and they both have good shots. Put all those three together, they’re going to be hard to play against.”
The numbers certainly back that up.
Carter has been the most explosive of the bunch. The 29-year-old has seven points in his last two games, a five-game point streak (five goals, five assists) and 19 total points in this postseason. Three of his points came in Saturday’s 4-3 win in Game 3, including this goal:
Toffoli, 22 and Pearson, 21, have four-game point streaks of their own. Pearson has a goal and four assists in this span while Toffoli found the net three times and added one assist in four contests. Toffoli’s goal from Saturday ranks among his best of what seems like a breakthrough run:
Jonathan Toews has been able to hold up his end of the bargain when he’s been facing Kopitar & Co., but the Blackhawks badly need the likes of Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp to step up or they’ll end up being grumpier than Red Forman by the end of this series.
* – It will be tough to top “That 70’s Line.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)