May 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Choppy ice isn’t just an issue for teams in warmer NHL climates, but the questions are almost always louder when it comes to teams that play in places like California or Florida. It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that the questions are bubbling up about the Staples Center as the Los Angeles Kings host Game 3 and 4 against the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Chicago Tribune took a long look at the issue and the general vibe from the Kings seems to be positive.
“As long as the humidity’s not up, it’s good,” Willie Mitchell said. “I think this time of year the ice in all the buildings isn’t optimal. That’s what happens as it starts to warm up, but it’s been good.”
Head coach Darryl Sutter did express a hope that the ice might be better now that the Los Angeles Clippers are out of the playoffs (since the ice crew won’t have to deal with that extra changeover).
Still, it’s May 24, so it might just come down to making the best of a challenging situation.
Maybe a better question would be: is more familiarity with possibly shaky ice just part of the Kings’ home-ice advantage these next two games?
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)