May 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EST
Choppy ice isn’t just an issue for teams in warmer NHL climates, but the questions are almost always louder when it comes to teams that play in places like California or Florida. It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that the questions are bubbling up about the Staples Center as the Los Angeles Kings host Game 3 and 4 against the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Chicago Tribune took a long look at the issue and the general vibe from the Kings seems to be positive.
“As long as the humidity’s not up, it’s good,” Willie Mitchell said. “I think this time of year the ice in all the buildings isn’t optimal. That’s what happens as it starts to warm up, but it’s been good.”
Head coach Darryl Sutter did express a hope that the ice might be better now that the Los Angeles Clippers are out of the playoffs (since the ice crew won’t have to deal with that extra changeover).
Still, it’s May 24, so it might just come down to making the best of a challenging situation.
Maybe a better question would be: is more familiarity with possibly shaky ice just part of the Kings’ home-ice advantage these next two games?
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)