May 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Choppy ice isn’t just an issue for teams in warmer NHL climates, but the questions are almost always louder when it comes to teams that play in places like California or Florida. It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that the questions are bubbling up about the Staples Center as the Los Angeles Kings host Game 3 and 4 against the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Chicago Tribune took a long look at the issue and the general vibe from the Kings seems to be positive.
“As long as the humidity’s not up, it’s good,” Willie Mitchell said. “I think this time of year the ice in all the buildings isn’t optimal. That’s what happens as it starts to warm up, but it’s been good.”
Head coach Darryl Sutter did express a hope that the ice might be better now that the Los Angeles Clippers are out of the playoffs (since the ice crew won’t have to deal with that extra changeover).
Still, it’s May 24, so it might just come down to making the best of a challenging situation.
Maybe a better question would be: is more familiarity with possibly shaky ice just part of the Kings’ home-ice advantage these next two games?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)