May 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Choppy ice isn’t just an issue for teams in warmer NHL climates, but the questions are almost always louder when it comes to teams that play in places like California or Florida. It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that the questions are bubbling up about the Staples Center as the Los Angeles Kings host Game 3 and 4 against the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Chicago Tribune took a long look at the issue and the general vibe from the Kings seems to be positive.
“As long as the humidity’s not up, it’s good,” Willie Mitchell said. “I think this time of year the ice in all the buildings isn’t optimal. That’s what happens as it starts to warm up, but it’s been good.”
Head coach Darryl Sutter did express a hope that the ice might be better now that the Los Angeles Clippers are out of the playoffs (since the ice crew won’t have to deal with that extra changeover).
Still, it’s May 24, so it might just come down to making the best of a challenging situation.
Maybe a better question would be: is more familiarity with possibly shaky ice just part of the Kings’ home-ice advantage these next two games?
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)