May 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
Choppy ice isn’t just an issue for teams in warmer NHL climates, but the questions are almost always louder when it comes to teams that play in places like California or Florida. It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that the questions are bubbling up about the Staples Center as the Los Angeles Kings host Game 3 and 4 against the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Chicago Tribune took a long look at the issue and the general vibe from the Kings seems to be positive.
“As long as the humidity’s not up, it’s good,” Willie Mitchell said. “I think this time of year the ice in all the buildings isn’t optimal. That’s what happens as it starts to warm up, but it’s been good.”
Head coach Darryl Sutter did express a hope that the ice might be better now that the Los Angeles Clippers are out of the playoffs (since the ice crew won’t have to deal with that extra changeover).
Still, it’s May 24, so it might just come down to making the best of a challenging situation.
Maybe a better question would be: is more familiarity with possibly shaky ice just part of the Kings’ home-ice advantage these next two games?
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)