May 24, 2014, 1:34 PM EST
Daniel Carcillo‘s 10-game suspension for coming into contact with linesman Scott Driscoll during Game 3 is obviously bad news for the New York Rangers but it could be bad news for Carcillo’s future as well.
That worry was expressed by New York Rangers coach Alain Vigneault following team practice on Saturday morning at Madison Square Garden. Vigneault was asked about Carcillo and didn’t hold back his thoughts on the agitator.
“There is no excuse for what happened. Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Vigneault told reporters. “Whatever happened before, he should have been in better control there. He knows that. I can’t begin to tell you how bad he feels about the whole thing. I mean, his situation, his personal future, the team. There is nothing he can do about it now, and there is nothing we can do about it.”
Vigneault said he disagreed with how Driscoll handled the scrum that erupted and led to Carcillo striking him. Now because of his actions, Carcillo is done in the postseason unless the Rangers go to Game 7 with the Habs, make the Stanley Cup Final, and play a Game 7 there as well.
Carcillo won’t generate much sympathy with fans for how he’s played through his career, but having a mark like this on your record — in the playoffs no less — won’t do much for him when he hits free agency this summer.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 56
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)