May 24, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Daniel Carcillo‘s 10-game suspension for coming into contact with linesman Scott Driscoll during Game 3 is obviously bad news for the New York Rangers but it could be bad news for Carcillo’s future as well.
That worry was expressed by New York Rangers coach Alain Vigneault following team practice on Saturday morning at Madison Square Garden. Vigneault was asked about Carcillo and didn’t hold back his thoughts on the agitator.
“There is no excuse for what happened. Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Vigneault told reporters. “Whatever happened before, he should have been in better control there. He knows that. I can’t begin to tell you how bad he feels about the whole thing. I mean, his situation, his personal future, the team. There is nothing he can do about it now, and there is nothing we can do about it.”
Vigneault said he disagreed with how Driscoll handled the scrum that erupted and led to Carcillo striking him. Now because of his actions, Carcillo is done in the postseason unless the Rangers go to Game 7 with the Habs, make the Stanley Cup Final, and play a Game 7 there as well.
Carcillo won’t generate much sympathy with fans for how he’s played through his career, but having a mark like this on your record — in the playoffs no less — won’t do much for him when he hits free agency this summer.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)