May 24, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Daniel Carcillo‘s 10-game suspension for coming into contact with linesman Scott Driscoll during Game 3 is obviously bad news for the New York Rangers but it could be bad news for Carcillo’s future as well.
That worry was expressed by New York Rangers coach Alain Vigneault following team practice on Saturday morning at Madison Square Garden. Vigneault was asked about Carcillo and didn’t hold back his thoughts on the agitator.
“There is no excuse for what happened. Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Vigneault told reporters. “Whatever happened before, he should have been in better control there. He knows that. I can’t begin to tell you how bad he feels about the whole thing. I mean, his situation, his personal future, the team. There is nothing he can do about it now, and there is nothing we can do about it.”
Vigneault said he disagreed with how Driscoll handled the scrum that erupted and led to Carcillo striking him. Now because of his actions, Carcillo is done in the postseason unless the Rangers go to Game 7 with the Habs, make the Stanley Cup Final, and play a Game 7 there as well.
Carcillo won’t generate much sympathy with fans for how he’s played through his career, but having a mark like this on your record — in the playoffs no less — won’t do much for him when he hits free agency this summer.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)