May 24, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Daniel Carcillo‘s 10-game suspension for coming into contact with linesman Scott Driscoll during Game 3 is obviously bad news for the New York Rangers but it could be bad news for Carcillo’s future as well.
That worry was expressed by New York Rangers coach Alain Vigneault following team practice on Saturday morning at Madison Square Garden. Vigneault was asked about Carcillo and didn’t hold back his thoughts on the agitator.
“There is no excuse for what happened. Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Vigneault told reporters. “Whatever happened before, he should have been in better control there. He knows that. I can’t begin to tell you how bad he feels about the whole thing. I mean, his situation, his personal future, the team. There is nothing he can do about it now, and there is nothing we can do about it.”
Vigneault said he disagreed with how Driscoll handled the scrum that erupted and led to Carcillo striking him. Now because of his actions, Carcillo is done in the postseason unless the Rangers go to Game 7 with the Habs, make the Stanley Cup Final, and play a Game 7 there as well.
Carcillo won’t generate much sympathy with fans for how he’s played through his career, but having a mark like this on your record — in the playoffs no less — won’t do much for him when he hits free agency this summer.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 14
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)