May 24, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Daniel Carcillo‘s 10-game suspension for coming into contact with linesman Scott Driscoll during Game 3 is obviously bad news for the New York Rangers but it could be bad news for Carcillo’s future as well.
That worry was expressed by New York Rangers coach Alain Vigneault following team practice on Saturday morning at Madison Square Garden. Vigneault was asked about Carcillo and didn’t hold back his thoughts on the agitator.
“There is no excuse for what happened. Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Vigneault told reporters. “Whatever happened before, he should have been in better control there. He knows that. I can’t begin to tell you how bad he feels about the whole thing. I mean, his situation, his personal future, the team. There is nothing he can do about it now, and there is nothing we can do about it.”
Vigneault said he disagreed with how Driscoll handled the scrum that erupted and led to Carcillo striking him. Now because of his actions, Carcillo is done in the postseason unless the Rangers go to Game 7 with the Habs, make the Stanley Cup Final, and play a Game 7 there as well.
Carcillo won’t generate much sympathy with fans for how he’s played through his career, but having a mark like this on your record — in the playoffs no less — won’t do much for him when he hits free agency this summer.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)