May 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
When you see a 2-0 lead implode into a 6-2 loss, it’s natural to be upset. The Chicago Blackhawks hope to channel those negative feelings into a much better performance against the Kings in Los Angeles in Game 3.
Jonathan Toews expressed such feelings in a more direct way, actually.
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville seems to think that “angry yet controlled” is what Chicago aims for (or at least should aim for) in every game, really.
“We talk about that just about every game. Discipline is always the key,” Quenneville said. “I thought we took a couple penalties that aren’t necessarily our style of game or play last game. Going forward we always want to stay out of the box, especially against their power play. Let’s be smart about it. But we want to play hard, make sure there’s some intensity. At the same time, between the whistles no unnecessary penalties.”
Adding Andrew Shaw to the lineup should give the Blackhawks a boost as far as edginess goes, yet the talented-but-pesky forward can often find himself in the penalty box, too. That’s something Quenneville and Toews seem quite aware of heading into tonight’s game.
“Shaw is one of those guys that’s got to be controlled,” Toews said. “We want to stay out of the box. At the same time there’s a lot of things guys like him can do to give us that energy. “
Despite Game 2’s score, these two teams are evenly matched, so finding that proper balance could very well end up being the difference between a 2-1 lead or a 2-1 deficit for the ‘Hawks.
- Devils fire DeBoer 5
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 8
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)