May 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
When you see a 2-0 lead implode into a 6-2 loss, it’s natural to be upset. The Chicago Blackhawks hope to channel those negative feelings into a much better performance against the Kings in Los Angeles in Game 3.
Jonathan Toews expressed such feelings in a more direct way, actually.
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville seems to think that “angry yet controlled” is what Chicago aims for (or at least should aim for) in every game, really.
“We talk about that just about every game. Discipline is always the key,” Quenneville said. “I thought we took a couple penalties that aren’t necessarily our style of game or play last game. Going forward we always want to stay out of the box, especially against their power play. Let’s be smart about it. But we want to play hard, make sure there’s some intensity. At the same time, between the whistles no unnecessary penalties.”
Adding Andrew Shaw to the lineup should give the Blackhawks a boost as far as edginess goes, yet the talented-but-pesky forward can often find himself in the penalty box, too. That’s something Quenneville and Toews seem quite aware of heading into tonight’s game.
“Shaw is one of those guys that’s got to be controlled,” Toews said. “We want to stay out of the box. At the same time there’s a lot of things guys like him can do to give us that energy. ”
Despite Game 2’s score, these two teams are evenly matched, so finding that proper balance could very well end up being the difference between a 2-1 lead or a 2-1 deficit for the ‘Hawks.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)