May 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
The drama keeps building between the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers as they approach Sunday’s Game 4.
If talk of dirty hits, taking advantage of injuries and excessive slashing didn’t stir the pot enough, Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien asked members of the Rangers to stop viewing a Montreal practice, claiming that his opponents broke a “gentleman’s agreement” though not an actual rule.
The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross explains how the situation played out:
Shortly after the start of the Canadiens’ practice this afternoon at Madison Square Garden, an upset Canadiens coach Michel Therrien asked/demanded that Rangers assistant Ulf Samuelsson not watch his team practice.
After that, Rangers GM Glen Sather came out to watch the Canadiens practice and assistant Dan Lacroix did too, with Canadiens goaltender coach Stephane Waite informing Therrien there were still Rangers’ personnel watching. Afterward, Therrien cited a “gentleman’s agreement” between the playoff combatants to not watch each other’s off-day practices.
Therrien notes that game day is different, but clearly this situation rubbed him the wrong way.
“It’s respect for coaches that want to make adjustments between games, and it’s always been like that and that’s the way it is,” Therrien said.
There may have been some concern about Habs drumming up enough ire against the Rangers after that heated series against their historic rivals from Boston heading into this conference finals matchup, those concerns can be put to rest.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)