May 24, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
Jeff Carter has been a goal-producing machine most of his career, but when you look at the Los Angeles Kings sometimes he gets lost in the mix. With guys like Drew Doughty, Jonathan Quick, and Anze Kopitar it’s understandable.
Kings coach Darryl Sutter understands what he’s got in Carter though and can’t say enough good things about him as Eric Duhatschek of The Globe And Mail shared.
“I think Jeff Carter gets overlooked,” said Sutter on Thursday. “He was the leading goal scorer in our conference last year. I know a lot of the talk in this series has been about a player on our team [Kopitar] and a player on their team [Toews].
“Jeff is just as important to our team as both those players that are getting talked about. Those kids get an opportunity to play with a top player in the Western Conference. That pretty much speaks for it.”
Carter has been huge for Los Angeles ever since his arrival from Columbus in 2012. That season he helped spark a Kings offense that wasn’t performing well to a Stanley Cup.
This season, he had 27 goals in the regular season and has another seven in the playoffs, second behind only Marian Gaborik‘s nine. Three of those goals came in Game 2 against Chicago.
Staying out of the headlines is probably OK by Carter and it’s working well for L.A. With the attention focused on the Kings’ other stars, it gives him a chance to do his thing.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)