May 24, 2014, 8:36 PM EST
Nothing is done yet, but the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that it’s close enough that Trotz told other interested teams that he is “no longer a candidate.” The Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless reports that an announcement could come early next week.
Lawless discusses a few more potential steps in the process:
There are plenty of reasons to believe that Trotz and the Capitals might be close to making a deal. Reports surfaced that Trotz met with the team earlier this week and there was talk of Washington being one of his top destinations.
PHT also tackled the subject in this video:
If Trotz is indeed the guy in Washington, the storylines are intriguing.
- How will Trotz and Alex Ovechkin coexist? Is there any concern that Ovechkin might clash with Trotz in the same way that he experienced conflicts with Dale Hunter?
- Trotz moves from a team noted for its front office stability to one in turmoil. At the same time, the budget is likely to be higher. Will he be able to take a team deeper than the second round now that he’s in the East?
- Will Trotz’s defensive system mesh well with the roster in Washington? Will he establish a clear identity for Washington?
Again, it’s not settled yet, but it’s already interesting to ponder the possibilities. Stay tuned for more on this situation, whether updates come later on Saturday or some time in the next few days.
Mar 6, 2015, 1:36 AM EST
Minnesota, Calgary and L.A. all win on Thursday.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:34 AM EST
Philly comes back with three goals in the third period.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:02 AM EST
Arizona snaps 10-game losing streak.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:46 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
Brock Nelson scored the winner.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:23 PM EST
“That. Just. Happened!”
Mar 5, 2015, 10:11 PM EST
“It’s humbling there’s no question.”
Mar 5, 2015, 9:16 PM EST
Once a 30-goal scorer in the NHL.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:40 PM EST
Curtis McKenzie drops the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST
“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”
Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST
Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
That’s former minor-league player Jordan Hart.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST
Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”
Mar 5, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Might get into coaching.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54