May 24, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT
Nothing is done yet, but the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that it’s close enough that Trotz told other interested teams that he is “no longer a candidate.” The Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless reports that an announcement could come early next week.
Lawless discusses a few more potential steps in the process:
There are plenty of reasons to believe that Trotz and the Capitals might be close to making a deal. Reports surfaced that Trotz met with the team earlier this week and there was talk of Washington being one of his top destinations.
PHT also tackled the subject in this video:
If Trotz is indeed the guy in Washington, the storylines are intriguing.
- How will Trotz and Alex Ovechkin coexist? Is there any concern that Ovechkin might clash with Trotz in the same way that he experienced conflicts with Dale Hunter?
- Trotz moves from a team noted for its front office stability to one in turmoil. At the same time, the budget is likely to be higher. Will he be able to take a team deeper than the second round now that he’s in the East?
- Will Trotz’s defensive system mesh well with the roster in Washington? Will he establish a clear identity for Washington?
Again, it’s not settled yet, but it’s already interesting to ponder the possibilities. Stay tuned for more on this situation, whether updates come later on Saturday or some time in the next few days.
May 3, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Yeah, it was quite a goal from No. 8.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Didn’t waste time getting on the board in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like there will be a dramatic, sudden return.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
“You only have one life, enjoy it.”
May 2, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Without a goal in this post-season.
May 2, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Minnesota almost completed the comeback in Game 1.
May 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
“Since the voting period began, we’ve received an astounding 20.4 million votes…”
May 2, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Caps were out-shot 15-4 and out-scored 2-0 in the opening 20.
May 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Lundqvist made 30 saves as New York edged Washington 3-2 in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
The highlight-reel goal pulls the Caps to within one.
May 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He suffered a lower body injury on Friday.
May 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Paperwork filed for environmental study.
May 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
One of four first period saves made by the Rangers’ starter.
May 2, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Opened the scoring 38 seconds in.
May 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC.
May 2, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut in April.
May 2, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
He didn’t play a shift in the third period of Thursday’s loss.
May 2, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
How a conversation in Vegas changed the forward’s game.
May 2, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Been through adversity before this season.
May 2, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)