May 24, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
So just how did Prust approach Stepan following what happened? Via text, of course, and as Prust told reporters following Canadiens practice this afternoon, he’s hoping his friend is all right.
“I told him I feel awful,” Prust said. “I didn’t want to injure anybody, especially a friend of mine. I told him exactly what I told you guys. It was my first shift. I’m just trying to create some body contact. I feel awful. You never want to hurt anybody, and I hope he recovers well.”
Stepan is doubtful to play in Game 4 as Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said he was still in the hospital this morning recovering from jaw surgery. He reportedly needed a plate inserted into his jaw to help with the break.
As for whether he knew he’d be suspended or not because of the hit, the injury changed his opinion.
“Yeah, you know, if there’s no injury, I was thinking — I was thinking no games,” Prust said. “Once I heard that he had a broken jaw, I was thinking one, maybe two games. Yeah, once I heard about the injury, even when I looked at the hit after the game, I wanted to see the hit, and the timing never really came into mind. I was looking at the contact.”
Prust received a two-game suspension for his hit on Stepan and will be eligible to return in Game 6 if it’s necessary.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)