May 24, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
In two straight games, the Chicago Blackhawks have been unable to protect leads against the Los Angeles Kings. In two consecutive third periods, the Kings have absolutely outclassed their conference final opponents.
They didn’t score six unanswered goals this time around, yet the Kings clearly pulled away in another contest, beating the Blackhawks 4-3 in Game 3 to take a 2-1 series lead.
Can’t get Carter
The Blackhawks have some questions to answer, and they might just start with “How do we stop ‘That 70’s Line?'”
Carter scored the 2-2 goal and finished with three points:
While Toffoli’s 3-2 tally was an absolute beauty:
Carter, 29, has quite the run going. He has seven points in his last two games, a five-game point streak (five goals, five assists) and 19 postseason points overall. Toffoli, 22 and Pearson, 21, have four-game point streaks of their own.
Remember when people were worried that the Blackhawks would be doomed by Corey Crawford‘s glove hand? The 29-year-old netminder has allowed nine goals in these two defeats after posting three consecutive one-goal wins. If nothing else, Crawford can look to Jonathan Quick‘s first-round struggles to see that it isn’t too late to turn things around.
More than Crawford’s numbers and a struggling power play, the Blackhawks have to be concerned about finishing strong. The Kings generated an 18-7 third period shot advantage despite entering the final frame with a lead.
Chicago wasted a great Toews performance on Saturday. Things could get awfully tense if his teammates don’t start to pick it up soon.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 18
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 5
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 10
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4