May 24, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
In two straight games, the Chicago Blackhawks have been unable to protect leads against the Los Angeles Kings. In two consecutive third periods, the Kings have absolutely outclassed their conference final opponents.
They didn’t score six unanswered goals this time around, yet the Kings clearly pulled away in another contest, beating the Blackhawks 4-3 in Game 3 to take a 2-1 series lead.
Can’t get Carter
The Blackhawks have some questions to answer, and they might just start with “How do we stop ‘That 70’s Line?'”
Carter scored the 2-2 goal and finished with three points:
While Toffoli’s 3-2 tally was an absolute beauty:
Carter, 29, has quite the run going. He has seven points in his last two games, a five-game point streak (five goals, five assists) and 19 postseason points overall. Toffoli, 22 and Pearson, 21, have four-game point streaks of their own.
Remember when people were worried that the Blackhawks would be doomed by Corey Crawford‘s glove hand? The 29-year-old netminder has allowed nine goals in these two defeats after posting three consecutive one-goal wins. If nothing else, Crawford can look to Jonathan Quick‘s first-round struggles to see that it isn’t too late to turn things around.
More than Crawford’s numbers and a struggling power play, the Blackhawks have to be concerned about finishing strong. The Kings generated an 18-7 third period shot advantage despite entering the final frame with a lead.
Chicago wasted a great Toews performance on Saturday. Things could get awfully tense if his teammates don’t start to pick it up soon.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)