May 24, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
The NHLPA announced Carcillo has requested the NHL to review his suspension for abusing linesman Scott Driscoll during Game 3 on Thursday night.
In order for Carcillo to challenge the ban he has to go right to the top. That means it’ll be NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman hearing his case. According to Rule 40.5, the Rangers forward had 72-hours from the announcement of the suspension to request the review.
No date or time has been scheduled for the appeal, but expect it to come about sooner than not with Game 4 taking place on Sunday night.
Appeals in the past have not gone well for the players challenging the league ruling. Shawn Thornton‘s 15-game suspension earlier this season was upheld by Bettman. Patrick Kaleta‘s 10-game suspension was also upheld by the commissioner.
Phoenix Coyotes forward Paul Bissonnette was successful in appealing his 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to start a fight. Bissonnette’s suspension was reduced to three games because there was a lack of video evidence to uphold his full punishment.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)