May 23, 2014, 12:52 PM EST
Although Stepan returned to the game after absorbing the blow early in the first period, it was determined that he has a broken jaw, per TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“Step right now, at this time, is probably getting operated on,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said this morning, according to Blueshirts United. “He broke his jaw yesterday, so we’ll have an idea of the time frame tomorrow.”
Vigneault specified that Stepan did get cleared by doctors to return to Thursday’s contest and that his injury was diagnosed this morning.
Stepan logged 17:46 minutes and recorded an assist last night.
Prust wasn’t penalized for his actions, but the NHL already booked him for a hearing to determine if supplemental discipline is appropriate. You can view the hit below:
In the aftermath of that hit, Rangers forward Daniel Carcillo had an incident with an official that might trigger an automatic suspension of three, 10, or 20 games for the physical abuse of an official.
Vigneault said that Carcillo’s actions were unacceptable and he will pay for them.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)