May 23, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Although Stepan returned to the game after absorbing the blow early in the first period, it was determined that he has a broken jaw, per TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“Step right now, at this time, is probably getting operated on,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said this morning, according to Blueshirts United. “He broke his jaw yesterday, so we’ll have an idea of the time frame tomorrow.”
Vigneault specified that Stepan did get cleared by doctors to return to Thursday’s contest and that his injury was diagnosed this morning.
Stepan logged 17:46 minutes and recorded an assist last night.
Prust wasn’t penalized for his actions, but the NHL already booked him for a hearing to determine if supplemental discipline is appropriate. You can view the hit below:
In the aftermath of that hit, Rangers forward Daniel Carcillo had an incident with an official that might trigger an automatic suspension of three, 10, or 20 games for the physical abuse of an official.
Vigneault said that Carcillo’s actions were unacceptable and he will pay for them.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)