May 23, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Looks like Cory Emmerton’s time as a Red Wing is over.
Emmerton, who appeared in 139 games over four years with Detroit, has reportedly signed on with Sochinskiye Leopardy — one of the new KHL expansion clubs that will begin play this season in the Winter Olympic host city of Sochi (see here and here for reports of Emmerton’s deal).
The 41st overall pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Emmerton has his best campaign with the Wings in 2011-12, appearing in 71 games while scoring a career-high six goals and 10 points. Just 23 at the time, Emmerton looked as though he’d be a regular contributor for the Wings — especially after he played in all 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — but slowly lost his grip on regular minutes last year and spent most of this season with AHL Grand Rapids (where he played well, scoring 46 points in 53 games).
With a glut of contracts at forward and several youngsters passing Emmerton on the depth chart, it seemed unlikely Detroit had a ton of space for the former OHL Kingston standout, who is a pending RFA.
Hence the move to Sochi.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)