May 23, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Looks like Cory Emmerton’s time as a Red Wing is over.
Emmerton, who appeared in 139 games over four years with Detroit, has reportedly signed on with Sochinskiye Leopardy — one of the new KHL expansion clubs that will begin play this season in the Winter Olympic host city of Sochi (see here and here for reports of Emmerton’s deal).
The 41st overall pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Emmerton has his best campaign with the Wings in 2011-12, appearing in 71 games while scoring a career-high six goals and 10 points. Just 23 at the time, Emmerton looked as though he’d be a regular contributor for the Wings — especially after he played in all 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — but slowly lost his grip on regular minutes last year and spent most of this season with AHL Grand Rapids (where he played well, scoring 46 points in 53 games).
With a glut of contracts at forward and several youngsters passing Emmerton on the depth chart, it seemed unlikely Detroit had a ton of space for the former OHL Kingston standout, who is a pending RFA.
Hence the move to Sochi.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)