May 23, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“Milan underwent successful surgery to repair his right wrist,” B’s GM Peter Chiarelli said in a statement. “Chris also underwent successful surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back. Both players are expected to be ready for the start of Training Camp.”
Following Boston’s second-round elimination to Montreal, Lucic was sporting a cast on his wrist, which he hurt during the Game 7 loss at TD Garden.
“I got it caught and jammed it in the first period of last game,” Lucic explained, per CBS Boston. “Unfortunately now I have to get an MRI on it, so hopefully there’s nothing too bad in there other than just a sprain.”
Kelly, meanwhile, missed the final three games of the regular season and entire playoffs with the herniated disc. He had tried to rehab it without going under the knife in the hopes of participating in the postseason — a move that ultimately failed.
“I was trying to do everything I could not to have surgery in order to play. But this season’s done now, I’ll probably go ahead and end up getting it fixed,” Kelly said. “I hurt it in Minnesota [April 8]. My back seized up on me. I thought I caught it soon enough, but after that I was pretty sore for a while.”
Lucic had a pretty solid year health-wise, appearing in 80 of 82 games while scoring 24 goals and 59 points. Kelly wasn’t as fortunate, missing 22 games earlier in the year with a fractured right fibula.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5