May 23, 2014, 1:16 AM EST
Lucky bounces. There were a number of them to go around between the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers on Thursday.
For the Habs, the final fortunate bounce in a critical Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final went their way – the puck hit off of the body of Montreal forward Alex Galchenyuk, behind a helpless Henrik Lundqvist and into the net. Game over. Montreal wins 3-2 in overtime. The Canadiens now trail the best-of-seven series 2-1.
“To be honest I have no idea what happened. It bounced off my stick or hit me (and) it went in,” said Galchenyuk, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
In a game that featured an abundance of odd and controversial moments, the final four minutes of regulation and the short 1:12 of overtime was rife with them.
Daniel Briere, the clutch playoff performer that he is, gave Montreal a 2-1 lead with 3:02 remaining in regulation. He was behind the goal line when he directed the puck in front of the New York net. The puck bounced off the leg of a Rangers defender and into the net.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)