May 23, 2014, 1:16 AM EST
Lucky bounces. There were a number of them to go around between the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers on Thursday.
For the Habs, the final fortunate bounce in a critical Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final went their way – the puck hit off of the body of Montreal forward Alex Galchenyuk, behind a helpless Henrik Lundqvist and into the net. Game over. Montreal wins 3-2 in overtime. The Canadiens now trail the best-of-seven series 2-1.
“To be honest I have no idea what happened. It bounced off my stick or hit me (and) it went in,” said Galchenyuk, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
In a game that featured an abundance of odd and controversial moments, the final four minutes of regulation and the short 1:12 of overtime was rife with them.
Daniel Briere, the clutch playoff performer that he is, gave Montreal a 2-1 lead with 3:02 remaining in regulation. He was behind the goal line when he directed the puck in front of the New York net. The puck bounced off the leg of a Rangers defender and into the net.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)