May 23, 2014, 1:16 AM EDT
Lucky bounces. There were a number of them to go around between the Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers on Thursday.
For the Habs, the final fortunate bounce in a critical Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final went their way – the puck hit off of the body of Montreal forward Alex Galchenyuk, behind a helpless Henrik Lundqvist and into the net. Game over. Montreal wins 3-2 in overtime. The Canadiens now trail the best-of-seven series 2-1.
“To be honest I have no idea what happened. It bounced off my stick or hit me (and) it went in,” said Galchenyuk, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
In a game that featured an abundance of odd and controversial moments, the final four minutes of regulation and the short 1:12 of overtime was rife with them.
Daniel Briere, the clutch playoff performer that he is, gave Montreal a 2-1 lead with 3:02 remaining in regulation. He was behind the goal line when he directed the puck in front of the New York net. The puck bounced off the leg of a Rangers defender and into the net.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)