May 23, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
The New York Rangers took issue with Brandon Prust‘s questionable hit on Rangers forward Derek Stepan early in the first period of Thursday’s game and the NHL has scheduled a hearing to discuss the Canadiens forward’s actions, but not everyone is against it.
“It set the tone for the night,” Desharnais explained, per the Canadiens’ Twitter account. “They may not have liked it, but it definitely woke everyone up.”
Montreal went on to earn a 3-2 overtime victory, reducing the Rangers series lead to 2-1.
If you haven’t seen the hit, here it is:
Stepan still ended up logging 17:46 minutes, but this morning it was revealed that he had a broken jaw. He has undergone surgery as a result.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)