May 23, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Dan Carcillo‘s postseason is essentially over.
The New York Rangers’ agitator extraordinaire has been suspended 10 games — an automatic suspension length — following an altercation with linesman Scott Driscoll during Thursday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final versus Montreal, the NHL announced.
Carcillo has been automatically suspended for 10 games as a result of being assessed a Game Misconduct penalty under Rule 40.3 Physical Abuse of Officials — Category II during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final in New York on Thursday, May 22, the National Hockey League announced today.
At 14:09 of the first period, Carcillo physically applied force to Linesman Scott Driscoll while being escorted to the penalty box. Rule 40.3 Physical Abuse of Officials — Category II states: “Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.”
Here’s video of the incident:
The suspension will all but finish Carcillo for the playoffs. The Rangers have a maximum of 11 games remaining — should they advance to Game 7 of both the Eastern Conference and Stanley Cup Final — and it’s tough to imagine “Carbomb” drawing back in after Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admonished him for his actions against Driscoll.
Carcillo has a long history with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety and disciplinary committees. He’s been suspended numerous times, including a seven-gamer in 2012 for boarding then-Oilers defenseman Tom Gilbert.
Update: Well, maybe Carcillo’s postseason won’t be over after all…
Carcillo can and probably will appeal the NHL’s automatic 10 game suspension.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) May 23, 2014
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)