May 23, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
Dan Carcillo‘s postseason is essentially over.
The New York Rangers’ agitator extraordinaire has been suspended 10 games — an automatic suspension length — following an altercation with linesman Scott Driscoll during Thursday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final versus Montreal, the NHL announced.
Carcillo has been automatically suspended for 10 games as a result of being assessed a Game Misconduct penalty under Rule 40.3 Physical Abuse of Officials — Category II during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final in New York on Thursday, May 22, the National Hockey League announced today.
At 14:09 of the first period, Carcillo physically applied force to Linesman Scott Driscoll while being escorted to the penalty box. Rule 40.3 Physical Abuse of Officials — Category II states: “Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.”
Here’s video of the incident:
The suspension will all but finish Carcillo for the playoffs. The Rangers have a maximum of 11 games remaining — should they advance to Game 7 of both the Eastern Conference and Stanley Cup Final — and it’s tough to imagine “Carbomb” drawing back in after Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admonished him for his actions against Driscoll.
Carcillo has a long history with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety and disciplinary committees. He’s been suspended numerous times, including a seven-gamer in 2012 for boarding then-Oilers defenseman Tom Gilbert.
Update: Well, maybe Carcillo’s postseason won’t be over after all…
Carcillo can and probably will appeal the NHL’s automatic 10 game suspension.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) May 23, 2014
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)