May 23, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Dan Carcillo‘s postseason is essentially over.
The New York Rangers’ agitator extraordinaire has been suspended 10 games — an automatic suspension length — following an altercation with linesman Scott Driscoll during Thursday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final versus Montreal, the NHL announced.
Carcillo has been automatically suspended for 10 games as a result of being assessed a Game Misconduct penalty under Rule 40.3 Physical Abuse of Officials — Category II during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final in New York on Thursday, May 22, the National Hockey League announced today.
At 14:09 of the first period, Carcillo physically applied force to Linesman Scott Driscoll while being escorted to the penalty box. Rule 40.3 Physical Abuse of Officials — Category II states: “Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.”
Here’s video of the incident:
The suspension will all but finish Carcillo for the playoffs. The Rangers have a maximum of 11 games remaining — should they advance to Game 7 of both the Eastern Conference and Stanley Cup Final — and it’s tough to imagine “Carbomb” drawing back in after Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admonished him for his actions against Driscoll.
Carcillo has a long history with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety and disciplinary committees. He’s been suspended numerous times, including a seven-gamer in 2012 for boarding then-Oilers defenseman Tom Gilbert.
Update: Well, maybe Carcillo’s postseason won’t be over after all…
Carcillo can and probably will appeal the NHL’s automatic 10 game suspension.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) May 23, 2014
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)