May 23, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
The Lightning and 23-year-old forward Tyler Johnson didn’t need much time to reach an understanding after his successful rookie campaign. Johnson inked a three-year, $10 million extension with Tampa Bay to avoid becoming a restricted free agent, per CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Johnson has excelled offensively at every level he’s played. He had 53 goals and 115 points in 71 WHL games and followed that up with back-to-back 60-plus point campaigns in the AHL.
That earned him a shot with the Lightning and he continued to produce by recording 24 goals, 26 assists, and a plus-23 rating in 82 games. He led all rookies in total playing time — an impressive feat for a forward — and was used heavily when the Lightning were killing penalties. He found the back of the net five times with his team shorthanded, which put him in a tie with Brad Marchand for the NHL lead.
As a result, he was named as one of the finalist for the Calder Trophy, along with Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon and teammate Ondrej Palat.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)