May 23, 2014, 3:24 PM EST
The Lightning and 23-year-old forward Tyler Johnson didn’t need much time to reach an understanding after his successful rookie campaign. Johnson inked a three-year, $10 million extension with Tampa Bay to avoid becoming a restricted free agent, per CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Johnson has excelled offensively at every level he’s played. He had 53 goals and 115 points in 71 WHL games and followed that up with back-to-back 60-plus point campaigns in the AHL.
That earned him a shot with the Lightning and he continued to produce by recording 24 goals, 26 assists, and a plus-23 rating in 82 games. He led all rookies in total playing time — an impressive feat for a forward — and was used heavily when the Lightning were killing penalties. He found the back of the net five times with his team shorthanded, which put him in a tie with Brad Marchand for the NHL lead.
As a result, he was named as one of the finalist for the Calder Trophy, along with Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon and teammate Ondrej Palat.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)