May 23, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
The Lightning and 23-year-old forward Tyler Johnson didn’t need much time to reach an understanding after his successful rookie campaign. Johnson inked a three-year, $10 million extension with Tampa Bay to avoid becoming a restricted free agent, per CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Johnson has excelled offensively at every level he’s played. He had 53 goals and 115 points in 71 WHL games and followed that up with back-to-back 60-plus point campaigns in the AHL.
That earned him a shot with the Lightning and he continued to produce by recording 24 goals, 26 assists, and a plus-23 rating in 82 games. He led all rookies in total playing time — an impressive feat for a forward — and was used heavily when the Lightning were killing penalties. He found the back of the net five times with his team shorthanded, which put him in a tie with Brad Marchand for the NHL lead.
As a result, he was named as one of the finalist for the Calder Trophy, along with Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon and teammate Ondrej Palat.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)