May 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Two days ago, the National Hockey League scored big at the SportsBusiness Journal Awards.
So, with all the success it has had since emerging from the lockout in January 2013, talk and speculation continues into whether the league will expand beyond its 30 markets. Seattle remains at the forefront of the discussion around the hockey world, along with Quebec City and Las Vegas. In fact, all three of those cities have been mentioned as potential expansion markets for some time now. Not really anything new there.
In fact, commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly were in Seattle recently to get a better idea of the situation involving a new arena in the city.
It’s also been reported that Los Angeles-based real estate tycoon Victor Coleman wants to bring a team to Seattle.
But, as Pierre LeBrun of ESPN reported, the NHL still has no plans to expand just yet.
“Things are popping up, but we’re not in an expansion process. Could we get to one at some point? Maybe,” Bettman told ESPN. “But right now we’re not focused on going through an expansion process.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)