May 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Two days ago, the National Hockey League scored big at the SportsBusiness Journal Awards.
So, with all the success it has had since emerging from the lockout in January 2013, talk and speculation continues into whether the league will expand beyond its 30 markets. Seattle remains at the forefront of the discussion around the hockey world, along with Quebec City and Las Vegas. In fact, all three of those cities have been mentioned as potential expansion markets for some time now. Not really anything new there.
In fact, commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly were in Seattle recently to get a better idea of the situation involving a new arena in the city.
It’s also been reported that Los Angeles-based real estate tycoon Victor Coleman wants to bring a team to Seattle.
But, as Pierre LeBrun of ESPN reported, the NHL still has no plans to expand just yet.
“Things are popping up, but we’re not in an expansion process. Could we get to one at some point? Maybe,” Bettman told ESPN. “But right now we’re not focused on going through an expansion process.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)