May 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Two days ago, the National Hockey League scored big at the SportsBusiness Journal Awards.
So, with all the success it has had since emerging from the lockout in January 2013, talk and speculation continues into whether the league will expand beyond its 30 markets. Seattle remains at the forefront of the discussion around the hockey world, along with Quebec City and Las Vegas. In fact, all three of those cities have been mentioned as potential expansion markets for some time now. Not really anything new there.
In fact, commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly were in Seattle recently to get a better idea of the situation involving a new arena in the city.
It’s also been reported that Los Angeles-based real estate tycoon Victor Coleman wants to bring a team to Seattle.
But, as Pierre LeBrun of ESPN reported, the NHL still has no plans to expand just yet.
“Things are popping up, but we’re not in an expansion process. Could we get to one at some point? Maybe,” Bettman told ESPN. “But right now we’re not focused on going through an expansion process.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)