May 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Two days ago, the National Hockey League scored big at the SportsBusiness Journal Awards.
So, with all the success it has had since emerging from the lockout in January 2013, talk and speculation continues into whether the league will expand beyond its 30 markets. Seattle remains at the forefront of the discussion around the hockey world, along with Quebec City and Las Vegas. In fact, all three of those cities have been mentioned as potential expansion markets for some time now. Not really anything new there.
In fact, commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly were in Seattle recently to get a better idea of the situation involving a new arena in the city.
It’s also been reported that Los Angeles-based real estate tycoon Victor Coleman wants to bring a team to Seattle.
But, as Pierre LeBrun of ESPN reported, the NHL still has no plans to expand just yet.
“Things are popping up, but we’re not in an expansion process. Could we get to one at some point? Maybe,” Bettman told ESPN. “But right now we’re not focused on going through an expansion process.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)