May 22, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
You can throw a big ol’ bucket of cold water on the Wayne Gretzky-to-Washington rumors.
The Capitals, who have vacancies both behind the bench and in the front office, were thought to be interested in bringing Gretzky on in a managerial/executive role — but, according to CSN Washington’s Jill Sorenson and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, it’s not going to happen.
First, this video report from Sorenson:
Next, this tidbit from LeBrun’s rumblings column:
Despite repeated reports linking Wayne Gretzky to Washington, it doesn’t sound as though The Great One and the Capitals are a match at this point.
Whether it’s for president of hockey operations or another high-end executive job, at this hour, it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Which is too bad, because No. 99 in that kind of role would be a great asset.
LeBrun goes on to add that a source believes the Caps will target one of ex-Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero, Preds assistant GM Paul Fenton and Boston assistant Don Sweeney for the vacant general manager gig. This would be in lockstep with Sorenson’s report that Washington wants to hire a more veteran front-office type rather than Gretzky, who has never served as an NHL GM, though did have success as the executive director of the Canadian Olympic team.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 22
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 3
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)