May 22, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
You can throw a big ol’ bucket of cold water on the Wayne Gretzky-to-Washington rumors.
The Capitals, who have vacancies both behind the bench and in the front office, were thought to be interested in bringing Gretzky on in a managerial/executive role — but, according to CSN Washington’s Jill Sorenson and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, it’s not going to happen.
First, this video report from Sorenson:
Next, this tidbit from LeBrun’s rumblings column:
Despite repeated reports linking Wayne Gretzky to Washington, it doesn’t sound as though The Great One and the Capitals are a match at this point.
Whether it’s for president of hockey operations or another high-end executive job, at this hour, it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Which is too bad, because No. 99 in that kind of role would be a great asset.
LeBrun goes on to add that a source believes the Caps will target one of ex-Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero, Preds assistant GM Paul Fenton and Boston assistant Don Sweeney for the vacant general manager gig. This would be in lockstep with Sorenson’s report that Washington wants to hire a more veteran front-office type rather than Gretzky, who has never served as an NHL GM, though did have success as the executive director of the Canadian Olympic team.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 16
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 48
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)