May 22, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
You can throw a big ol’ bucket of cold water on the Wayne Gretzky-to-Washington rumors.
The Capitals, who have vacancies both behind the bench and in the front office, were thought to be interested in bringing Gretzky on in a managerial/executive role — but, according to CSN Washington’s Jill Sorenson and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, it’s not going to happen.
First, this video report from Sorenson:
Next, this tidbit from LeBrun’s rumblings column:
Despite repeated reports linking Wayne Gretzky to Washington, it doesn’t sound as though The Great One and the Capitals are a match at this point.
Whether it’s for president of hockey operations or another high-end executive job, at this hour, it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Which is too bad, because No. 99 in that kind of role would be a great asset.
LeBrun goes on to add that a source believes the Caps will target one of ex-Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero, Preds assistant GM Paul Fenton and Boston assistant Don Sweeney for the vacant general manager gig. This would be in lockstep with Sorenson’s report that Washington wants to hire a more veteran front-office type rather than Gretzky, who has never served as an NHL GM, though did have success as the executive director of the Canadian Olympic team.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)