May 22, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
You can throw a big ol’ bucket of cold water on the Wayne Gretzky-to-Washington rumors.
The Capitals, who have vacancies both behind the bench and in the front office, were thought to be interested in bringing Gretzky on in a managerial/executive role — but, according to CSN Washington’s Jill Sorenson and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, it’s not going to happen.
First, this video report from Sorenson:
Next, this tidbit from LeBrun’s rumblings column:
Despite repeated reports linking Wayne Gretzky to Washington, it doesn’t sound as though The Great One and the Capitals are a match at this point.
Whether it’s for president of hockey operations or another high-end executive job, at this hour, it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Which is too bad, because No. 99 in that kind of role would be a great asset.
LeBrun goes on to add that a source believes the Caps will target one of ex-Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero, Preds assistant GM Paul Fenton and Boston assistant Don Sweeney for the vacant general manager gig. This would be in lockstep with Sorenson’s report that Washington wants to hire a more veteran front-office type rather than Gretzky, who has never served as an NHL GM, though did have success as the executive director of the Canadian Olympic team.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)