May 22, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
You can throw a big ol’ bucket of cold water on the Wayne Gretzky-to-Washington rumors.
The Capitals, who have vacancies both behind the bench and in the front office, were thought to be interested in bringing Gretzky on in a managerial/executive role — but, according to CSN Washington’s Jill Sorenson and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, it’s not going to happen.
First, this video report from Sorenson:
Next, this tidbit from LeBrun’s rumblings column:
Despite repeated reports linking Wayne Gretzky to Washington, it doesn’t sound as though The Great One and the Capitals are a match at this point.
Whether it’s for president of hockey operations or another high-end executive job, at this hour, it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Which is too bad, because No. 99 in that kind of role would be a great asset.
LeBrun goes on to add that a source believes the Caps will target one of ex-Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero, Preds assistant GM Paul Fenton and Boston assistant Don Sweeney for the vacant general manager gig. This would be in lockstep with Sorenson’s report that Washington wants to hire a more veteran front-office type rather than Gretzky, who has never served as an NHL GM, though did have success as the executive director of the Canadian Olympic team.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)