May 22, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Another day, another Penguin undergoing major offseason surgery.
This time, it’s sophomore forward Beau Bennett, who following the team’s playoff exit told reporters he’d be undergoing surgery on a bothersome wrist injury — per the Post-Gazette, that procedure happened today and will sideline Bennett for the next four months.
Bennett missed 61 games this year with the injury — that never fully healed — and, last week, acknowledged the ailment rendered him ineffective in the Pens’ second-round loss to New York.
“I don’t want to make any excuses,” he said, per NHL.com. “The wrist thing, it is what it is. I tried to play as hard as I could and the Ranger games, I was useless out there, to be honest.
“I was just trying to get the puck deep. I couldn’t make plays, couldn’t push on guys.’”
Bennett, the 20th overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has shown flashes of good scoring ability during his first two years in the league (21 points in 47 games), and Pittsburgh certainly could’ve used his offense against the Rangers. The Pens finished series by scoring just three goals on Henrik Lundqvist in the final three games and only 14 goals over the course of the full seven.
Bennett finished with no goals and one assist against the Blueshirts.
As mentioned above, Bennett is just the latest Penguin to go under the knife. Prospect Derrick Pouliot had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum on Wednesday and, earlier today, blueliner Olli Maatta underwent the same procedure on his shoulder. Both are expected to miss the next 4-6 months rehabbing.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)