May 22, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Another day, another Penguin undergoing major offseason surgery.
This time, it’s sophomore forward Beau Bennett, who following the team’s playoff exit told reporters he’d be undergoing surgery on a bothersome wrist injury — per the Post-Gazette, that procedure happened today and will sideline Bennett for the next four months.
Bennett missed 61 games this year with the injury — that never fully healed — and, last week, acknowledged the ailment rendered him ineffective in the Pens’ second-round loss to New York.
“I don’t want to make any excuses,” he said, per NHL.com. “The wrist thing, it is what it is. I tried to play as hard as I could and the Ranger games, I was useless out there, to be honest.
“I was just trying to get the puck deep. I couldn’t make plays, couldn’t push on guys.’”
Bennett, the 20th overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has shown flashes of good scoring ability during his first two years in the league (21 points in 47 games), and Pittsburgh certainly could’ve used his offense against the Rangers. The Pens finished series by scoring just three goals on Henrik Lundqvist in the final three games and only 14 goals over the course of the full seven.
Bennett finished with no goals and one assist against the Blueshirts.
As mentioned above, Bennett is just the latest Penguin to go under the knife. Prospect Derrick Pouliot had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum on Wednesday and, earlier today, blueliner Olli Maatta underwent the same procedure on his shoulder. Both are expected to miss the next 4-6 months rehabbing.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)