May 22, 2014, 1:30 AM EST
Remember that whole lockout thing? Well, it appears the National Hockey League has rebounded quite nicely since the labor dispute came to an end in January of 2013.
These Stanley Cup playoffs, now into the conference finals, have been lauded for the speed and skill on display, as well as the factor that anything has been possible, with comebacks upon comebacks.
On Wednesday, while the Chicago Blackhawks and L.A. Kings did battle in Game 2 of the Western Conference Final, the NHL took home hardware at the SportsBusiness Journal Awards.
In all, the league earned three awards:
“Usually I’m standing with a trophy and getting booed. It’s strange to be receiving one and be cheered,” said commissioner Gary Bettman.
“Our athletes are the best in team sports. We wouldn’t be standing here tonight without the players,” said NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, as per the SportsBusiness Journal Twitter account.
The NHL took home the award for the second time in four years, according to the league’s website.
Bettman said this year’s Winter Classic was “the biggest and best New Year’s Day party in our history.” It was a huge success in terms of television ratings and the league sold more than 105,000 tickets to the event at the Big House, which provided a beautiful setting on a snowy afternoon for a match-up between two historic Original Six rivals, the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
As per the NHL’s public relations department, the 2008 Winter Classic in Buffalo also won for this award.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11