May 22, 2014, 3:23 PM EST
As expected, the New York Islanders are keeping their first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, which means they’re giving their first-round pick in the 2015 draft — the one that will feature potential superstars Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel — to the Buffalo Sabres.
All of this stems from the Thomas Vanek trade, between the Sabres and Islanders, in October of 2013.
The decision to retain the 2014 selection, even though it’s the fifth overall pick, is a big gamble for the Islanders, who will need to make the playoffs to avoid transferring a 2015 lottery pick to Buffalo.
And making the playoffs will be easier said than done for an Isles team that fell well short of the mark in 2013-14. The injury to John Tavares hurt, yes, but that wasn’t the only reason they struggled. Once again, goaltending was a weakness, a factor that necessitated the acquisition of Jaroslav Halak’s exclusive negotiating rights earlier this month.
So, not surprisingly, we also learn today that the Isles have reached a deal with Halak, as first reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Apparently, it’s a four-year contract for the 29-year-old, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 10
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 28
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 45
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)