May 22, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
As expected, the New York Islanders are keeping their first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, which means they’re giving their first-round pick in the 2015 draft — the one that will feature potential superstars Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel — to the Buffalo Sabres.
All of this stems from the Thomas Vanek trade, between the Sabres and Islanders, in October of 2013.
The decision to retain the 2014 selection, even though it’s the fifth overall pick, is a big gamble for the Islanders, who will need to make the playoffs to avoid transferring a 2015 lottery pick to Buffalo.
And making the playoffs will be easier said than done for an Isles team that fell well short of the mark in 2013-14. The injury to John Tavares hurt, yes, but that wasn’t the only reason they struggled. Once again, goaltending was a weakness, a factor that necessitated the acquisition of Jaroslav Halak’s exclusive negotiating rights earlier this month.
So, not surprisingly, we also learn today that the Isles have reached a deal with Halak, as first reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Apparently, it’s a four-year contract for the 29-year-old, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)