May 22, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
As expected, the New York Islanders are keeping their first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, which means they’re giving their first-round pick in the 2015 draft — the one that will feature potential superstars Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel — to the Buffalo Sabres.
All of this stems from the Thomas Vanek trade, between the Sabres and Islanders, in October of 2013.
The decision to retain the 2014 selection, even though it’s the fifth overall pick, is a big gamble for the Islanders, who will need to make the playoffs to avoid transferring a 2015 lottery pick to Buffalo.
And making the playoffs will be easier said than done for an Isles team that fell well short of the mark in 2013-14. The injury to John Tavares hurt, yes, but that wasn’t the only reason they struggled. Once again, goaltending was a weakness, a factor that necessitated the acquisition of Jaroslav Halak’s exclusive negotiating rights earlier this month.
So, not surprisingly, we also learn today that the Isles have reached a deal with Halak, as first reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Apparently, it’s a four-year contract for the 29-year-old, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)