May 22, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Having already eliminated “the best team in the league,” according to Montreal Canadiens coach Michel Therrien, the Habs now have their hands full with “the best team that we’ve played in the playoffs,” also according to Therrien.
Which might not actually make sense when you think about it, but whatever, it was a nice little shot at those “disrespectful” Bruins, and the Rangers are definitely playing some good hockey. New York has won five straight in the playoffs, including the first two games of the Eastern Conference Final versus Montreal.
“So we all understand the challenge that we’re facing tonight,” said Therrien. “Yes, we’ve got a young guy in the goalie position, but for us we’ve got to make sure we play the way we play, to play the right way, to play the way with confidence. We can’t start thinking about changing things because of the goalie. We have to make sure we play the right way.”
Therrien, if you’re wondering, was responding to a reporter who asked if the Canadiens need to play a different way with Dustin Tokarski, not the injured Carey Price, between the pipes in a hostile environment like Madison Square Garden.
Related: Get your game notes: Habs at Rangers
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)