May 22, 2014, 4:44 PM EST
Based on the numbers? Absolutely.
Consider: in 272 appearances for Montreal, St. Louis and Washington, Jaroslav Halak has a career NHL save percentage of .918. That puts the 29-year-old in the company of Pekka Rinne (.918) and Sergei Bobrovsky (.919), and not all that far off from Henrik Lundqvist (.920).
But the groin wasn’t an issue for Halak last season, thanks perhaps to a more dedicated offseason fitness regimen. And at any rate, a risk-free goalie simply doesn’t exist. All of them can get injured. All of them struggle at times. It’s the nature of the position. If Isles general manager Garth Snow were to have signed Miller or Jonas Hiller, two other pending unrestricted free agents, there would’ve been no guarantees either.
Snow, to his credit, targeted Halak, and he got him. And Isles fans should be happy about that. Now it’s up to Halak to deliver, because there’s a lot more than just a playoff spot riding on their 2014-15 season.
Isles’ team save percentage, by season
2013-14: .894 (30th in NHL)
2012-13: .899 (T-24th)
2011-12: .898 (T-28th)
2010-11: .902 (T-23rd)
2009-10: .901 (T-23rd)
2008-09: .900 (T-23rd)
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (54)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)