May 22, 2014, 4:44 PM EST
Based on the numbers? Absolutely.
Consider: in 272 appearances for Montreal, St. Louis and Washington, Jaroslav Halak has a career NHL save percentage of .918. That puts the 29-year-old in the company of Pekka Rinne (.918) and Sergei Bobrovsky (.919), and not all that far off from Henrik Lundqvist (.920).
But the groin wasn’t an issue for Halak last season, thanks perhaps to a more dedicated offseason fitness regimen. And at any rate, a risk-free goalie simply doesn’t exist. All of them can get injured. All of them struggle at times. It’s the nature of the position. If Isles general manager Garth Snow were to have signed Miller or Jonas Hiller, two other pending unrestricted free agents, there would’ve been no guarantees either.
Snow, to his credit, targeted Halak, and he got him. And Isles fans should be happy about that. Now it’s up to Halak to deliver, because there’s a lot more than just a playoff spot riding on their 2014-15 season.
Isles’ team save percentage, by season
2013-14: .894 (30th in NHL)
2012-13: .899 (T-24th)
2011-12: .898 (T-28th)
2010-11: .902 (T-23rd)
2009-10: .901 (T-23rd)
2008-09: .900 (T-23rd)
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)