May 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
WHL Calgary forward Jake Virtanen, the sixth-ranked prospect for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, will miss the next four to six months after undergoing shoulder surgery, per TSN.
A 6-foot, 208-pounder winger that scored 45 goals for the Hitmen this season, Virtanen jumped from No. 9 in the NHL Central Scouting midterm rankings to No. 6 for his final rank, ahead of fellow wingers Nicholas Ritchie (No. 7, OHL Peterborough) and Brendan Perlini (No. 8, OHL Niagara).
“He’s got a complete, all-around pro game right now,” said Central Scouting’s Peter Sullivan. “He’s tough to play against, makes things happen on the ice. When you’re out there with him, better have your head up because he could put you through the wall.
“He’s got that package of high-end skill that doesn’t come along too often; he’s like a Jarome Iginla type of player who can do everything.”
Virtanen also impressed at April’s U18 Worlds, helping Canada capture bronze by scoring a team-high six points in seven games.
The 2014 NHL Entry Draft will go on Friday, June 27 from Wells Fargo in Philadelphia. Florida holds the first overall pick, followed by Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary and the New York Islanders to round out the top five.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)