May 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
WHL Calgary forward Jake Virtanen, the sixth-ranked prospect for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, will miss the next four to six months after undergoing shoulder surgery, per TSN.
A 6-foot, 208-pounder winger that scored 45 goals for the Hitmen this season, Virtanen jumped from No. 9 in the NHL Central Scouting midterm rankings to No. 6 for his final rank, ahead of fellow wingers Nicholas Ritchie (No. 7, OHL Peterborough) and Brendan Perlini (No. 8, OHL Niagara).
“He’s got a complete, all-around pro game right now,” said Central Scouting’s Peter Sullivan. “He’s tough to play against, makes things happen on the ice. When you’re out there with him, better have your head up because he could put you through the wall.
“He’s got that package of high-end skill that doesn’t come along too often; he’s like a Jarome Iginla type of player who can do everything.”
Virtanen also impressed at April’s U18 Worlds, helping Canada capture bronze by scoring a team-high six points in seven games.
The 2014 NHL Entry Draft will go on Friday, June 27 from Wells Fargo in Philadelphia. Florida holds the first overall pick, followed by Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary and the New York Islanders to round out the top five.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)