May 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
WHL Calgary forward Jake Virtanen, the sixth-ranked prospect for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, will miss the next four to six months after undergoing shoulder surgery, per TSN.
A 6-foot, 208-pounder winger that scored 45 goals for the Hitmen this season, Virtanen jumped from No. 9 in the NHL Central Scouting midterm rankings to No. 6 for his final rank, ahead of fellow wingers Nicholas Ritchie (No. 7, OHL Peterborough) and Brendan Perlini (No. 8, OHL Niagara).
“He’s got a complete, all-around pro game right now,” said Central Scouting’s Peter Sullivan. “He’s tough to play against, makes things happen on the ice. When you’re out there with him, better have your head up because he could put you through the wall.
“He’s got that package of high-end skill that doesn’t come along too often; he’s like a Jarome Iginla type of player who can do everything.”
Virtanen also impressed at April’s U18 Worlds, helping Canada capture bronze by scoring a team-high six points in seven games.
The 2014 NHL Entry Draft will go on Friday, June 27 from Wells Fargo in Philadelphia. Florida holds the first overall pick, followed by Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary and the New York Islanders to round out the top five.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)