May 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
WHL Calgary forward Jake Virtanen, the sixth-ranked prospect for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, will miss the next four to six months after undergoing shoulder surgery, per TSN.
A 6-foot, 208-pounder winger that scored 45 goals for the Hitmen this season, Virtanen jumped from No. 9 in the NHL Central Scouting midterm rankings to No. 6 for his final rank, ahead of fellow wingers Nicholas Ritchie (No. 7, OHL Peterborough) and Brendan Perlini (No. 8, OHL Niagara).
“He’s got a complete, all-around pro game right now,” said Central Scouting’s Peter Sullivan. “He’s tough to play against, makes things happen on the ice. When you’re out there with him, better have your head up because he could put you through the wall.
“He’s got that package of high-end skill that doesn’t come along too often; he’s like a Jarome Iginla type of player who can do everything.”
Virtanen also impressed at April’s U18 Worlds, helping Canada capture bronze by scoring a team-high six points in seven games.
The 2014 NHL Entry Draft will go on Friday, June 27 from Wells Fargo in Philadelphia. Florida holds the first overall pick, followed by Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary and the New York Islanders to round out the top five.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)