May 21, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens lost two straight home games against the New York Rangers to open the Eastern Conference Final. That in itself is problematic, but not a crippling hole to dig out of. The bigger problem is that goaltender Carey Price is out for the series.
Without their star netminder, not many people are betting on a Canadiens comeback, but Montreal coach Michel Therrien argued that puts the team in a very familiar position.
“When we started the season, there were a lot of people not even putting us in the playoffs. Or, if they wanted to be polite, they’d give us the eighth spot,” Therrien told the Toronto Sun.
“We caused a surprise to make the playoffs. We caused a surprise against the Tampa Bay Lightning to win in four, and we caused a bigger surprise to beat the Boston Bruins.”
Therrien asserted that his players believe in themselves though, even if that optimism is rare outside of their dressing room.
Rookie goaltender Dustin Tokarski wasn’t bad in Game 2 or the reason they lost that contest. The Canadiens can certainly win games with him. But can they win four of their next five contests against a Rangers team that’s clicking with Tokarski instead of Price?
Well, let’s put it this way: If they do, Therrien will be able to say that it was Montreal’s biggest surprise yet.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)