May 21, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
From USA Today:
The NHL draft floor could feel as much like an auction house as a drafting venue when teams gather in Philadelphia for the annual event in late June.
“Some teams are going to be looking to move some salaries, and I just have a feeling there could be a lot of moves,” Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill said.
Adding further spice to the event is that Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon isn’t ruling out trading the No. 1 draft pick.
Let’s hope Nill is right, because, well, trades are fun. The big one last year in Newark was Cory Schneider getting sent to the Devils from Vancouver. The year before, in Pittsburgh, Penguins center Jordan Staal was dealt to Carolina. In both cases, it was the team hosting the draft that made the biggest splash. Say, have the Flyers ever made any blockbuster trades?
If you’re wondering, the last time the first overall pick was traded was in 2003, when Florida sent it to Pittsburgh, who then took goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.
The year before, it was Columbus that swung a deal with Florida to select Rick Nash first overall.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)