May 21, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
From USA Today:
The NHL draft floor could feel as much like an auction house as a drafting venue when teams gather in Philadelphia for the annual event in late June.
“Some teams are going to be looking to move some salaries, and I just have a feeling there could be a lot of moves,” Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill said.
Adding further spice to the event is that Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon isn’t ruling out trading the No. 1 draft pick.
Let’s hope Nill is right, because, well, trades are fun. The big one last year in Newark was Cory Schneider getting sent to the Devils from Vancouver. The year before, in Pittsburgh, Penguins center Jordan Staal was dealt to Carolina. In both cases, it was the team hosting the draft that made the biggest splash. Say, have the Flyers ever made any blockbuster trades?
If you’re wondering, the last time the first overall pick was traded was in 2003, when Florida sent it to Pittsburgh, who then took goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.
The year before, it was Columbus that swung a deal with Florida to select Rick Nash first overall.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)