May 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
Just one day after Andrew Shaw declared himself ready to return to the ‘Hawks lineup, the ‘Hawks flipped the script.
Shaw has been ruled out for tonight’s Game 2 against Los Angeles — his seventh in a row — the club confirmed following Wednesday’s morning skate. ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville said that Shaw did want to draw back in, but explained it was better to hold off until Saturday’s Game 3 at Staples Center.
Yesterday, Shaw skated with teammates for the first time after suffering a leg injury in the opener of the Minnesota series (on May 2), and sounded highly optimistic about getting back in the lineup.
“I feel great, it’s good to be back,” Shaw said, per the Chicago Tribune. “I feel like I’m ready to play, but that’s not my decision. I’m getting prepared like I’m going to play.”
The 22-year-old forward enjoyed great success in the opening round against St. Louis, especially in the final three games of the series when he notched two goals and four points. Shaw’s fortunes turned quickly against the Wild, however; he was hurt after playing just 3:01 in Game 1 and proceeded to miss the final five games of the series.
Shaw was a key piece to Chicago’s Stanley Cup run last year, scoring five goals and nine points while averaging close to 15 minutes a night.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)