May 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Just one day after Andrew Shaw declared himself ready to return to the ‘Hawks lineup, the ‘Hawks flipped the script.
Shaw has been ruled out for tonight’s Game 2 against Los Angeles — his seventh in a row — the club confirmed following Wednesday’s morning skate. ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville said that Shaw did want to draw back in, but explained it was better to hold off until Saturday’s Game 3 at Staples Center.
Yesterday, Shaw skated with teammates for the first time after suffering a leg injury in the opener of the Minnesota series (on May 2), and sounded highly optimistic about getting back in the lineup.
“I feel great, it’s good to be back,” Shaw said, per the Chicago Tribune. “I feel like I’m ready to play, but that’s not my decision. I’m getting prepared like I’m going to play.”
The 22-year-old forward enjoyed great success in the opening round against St. Louis, especially in the final three games of the series when he notched two goals and four points. Shaw’s fortunes turned quickly against the Wild, however; he was hurt after playing just 3:01 in Game 1 and proceeded to miss the final five games of the series.
Shaw was a key piece to Chicago’s Stanley Cup run last year, scoring five goals and nine points while averaging close to 15 minutes a night.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)