May 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
Just one day after Andrew Shaw declared himself ready to return to the ‘Hawks lineup, the ‘Hawks flipped the script.
Shaw has been ruled out for tonight’s Game 2 against Los Angeles — his seventh in a row — the club confirmed following Wednesday’s morning skate. ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville said that Shaw did want to draw back in, but explained it was better to hold off until Saturday’s Game 3 at Staples Center.
Yesterday, Shaw skated with teammates for the first time after suffering a leg injury in the opener of the Minnesota series (on May 2), and sounded highly optimistic about getting back in the lineup.
“I feel great, it’s good to be back,” Shaw said, per the Chicago Tribune. “I feel like I’m ready to play, but that’s not my decision. I’m getting prepared like I’m going to play.”
The 22-year-old forward enjoyed great success in the opening round against St. Louis, especially in the final three games of the series when he notched two goals and four points. Shaw’s fortunes turned quickly against the Wild, however; he was hurt after playing just 3:01 in Game 1 and proceeded to miss the final five games of the series.
Shaw was a key piece to Chicago’s Stanley Cup run last year, scoring five goals and nine points while averaging close to 15 minutes a night.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 0
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 5
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)