May 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Just one day after Andrew Shaw declared himself ready to return to the ‘Hawks lineup, the ‘Hawks flipped the script.
Shaw has been ruled out for tonight’s Game 2 against Los Angeles — his seventh in a row — the club confirmed following Wednesday’s morning skate. ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville said that Shaw did want to draw back in, but explained it was better to hold off until Saturday’s Game 3 at Staples Center.
Yesterday, Shaw skated with teammates for the first time after suffering a leg injury in the opener of the Minnesota series (on May 2), and sounded highly optimistic about getting back in the lineup.
“I feel great, it’s good to be back,” Shaw said, per the Chicago Tribune. “I feel like I’m ready to play, but that’s not my decision. I’m getting prepared like I’m going to play.”
The 22-year-old forward enjoyed great success in the opening round against St. Louis, especially in the final three games of the series when he notched two goals and four points. Shaw’s fortunes turned quickly against the Wild, however; he was hurt after playing just 3:01 in Game 1 and proceeded to miss the final five games of the series.
Shaw was a key piece to Chicago’s Stanley Cup run last year, scoring five goals and nine points while averaging close to 15 minutes a night.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)