May 21, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
The Barry Trotz interview tour, Summer 2014, appears to be in full swing. According to multiple reports, one by Sportsnet’s John Shannon, the former Predators head coach was in Washington yesterday to talk to the Capitals about their vacant position behind the bench.
Besides Washington, there are three other official coaching vacancies: in Florida, Carolina, and Vancouver. There could be another in Pittsburgh, depending what the new GM, whoever that may be, decides to do about Dan Bylsma.
Trotz has already publicly indicated his interest in the Washington job and the Vancouver job. But wherever he ends up (and it sure seems like he’ll end up somewhere), he doesn’t want people to assume he’ll coach the same system he did in Nashville.
“I’ve played a number of different systems based on our personnel, but I like the personnel to dictate the strength,” he told the Washington Post. “In Nashville, our strength was in net and defense. So our team would take the personality of the top players and that was most often on the back end.”
As proof, he likes to point out that, from 2005-2007 — when the Preds were led by Paul Kariya — they were among the highest-scoring teams in the NHL, which is true.
That being said, there was a reason Nashville went with Peter Laviolette as its new coach, and it wasn’t because he coached a boring, defensive style.
Which is to say, it’ll be interesting to see if Trotz can actually adapt. Because if he ends up with Washington or Vancouver, he’ll have to get the most out of Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom, or Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)